Building Glass Aquariums

al&burke

Been playing around with building glass tanks. Have built about 4 or 5 now. This one 20 wide x 24 deep x 15 High is going to be for my peacock mantis. I am going to run it on my 65 lion tank sump. The trim is made from plexi and uvex then spray painted with krylon fusion. This one has had water in it for the past two days. Above it will be another tank similar size for a ciliatas mantis I also have. The second picture is a support I made to put another tank above this one. As you can see the tank has a center brace on the 24 inch long side, glass and plexi. This tank has not deflected at all with water in it.

al&burke

Just myself for now Seth, alot of this glass is recycled from old tanks that people have given me, leakers as such.

al&burke

Here is the latest tank I built and set up with my 65 liontank, 30 gallon syllarus tank, and the new one 25 gallons ciliatas tanks (yop one of the two). ALl three tanks are on one sump.

snakeblitz33

Ah, that's cool. I'd like to know more about the process of building these glass tanks if you have the chance to write some kind of tutorial out. :D
It looks like something worth looking into, honestly. Is the bottom of your glass tempered?

mr. limpid

Al that is what I want to do this spring make a custom glass tank to fit under my 135. What I found out is it just aquarium sealant, tape and glass. Is it that easy? I want to go topless (don't try imagining that you go blind) so I will smooth the edges. Did you smooth the edges on the sides of your tanks? I haven't look into it there must be a tool to do that? I wish I didn't toss my 30 long would of had plenty of glass to make what I want.

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/394294/building-glass-aquariums#post_3511688
Very cool looking set up Al!! Do you have a pic of all the plumbing into the sump??
Hard to get a picture of that lots going on in the back, I have three separate line, one for each tank. Thanks for the kind words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/394294/building-glass-aquariums#post_3511683
Al that is what I want to do this spring make a custom glass tank to fit under my 135. What I found out is it just aquarium sealant, tape and glass. Is it that easy? I want to go topless (don't try imagining that you go blind) so I will smooth the edges. Did you smooth the edges on the sides of your tanks? I haven't look into it there must be a tool to do that? I wish I didn't toss my 30 long would of had plenty of glass to make what I want.
Thanks Mr Limpid, I am currently looking for a wate cooled belt sander just for that purpose, I sand the edges a bit with some silicon carbide tape, I have seen on youtube where they use a diamond sharpening stone. The trick with making glass aquariums is keeping everything clean, being organised. ANd having very clean glass to build with, I use a very pure form of acetone to clean the ajoining edges. I have used a lot of old tanks for building.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///t/394294/building-glass-aquariums#post_3511677
Ah, that's cool. I'd like to know more about the process of building these glass tanks if you have the chance to write some kind of tutorial out. :D
It looks like something worth looking into, honestly. Is the bottom of your glass tempered?
Thanks Seth, I will do this I don't know when, but pictures would be the best thing, but it is hard to take pictures and silicone glass together.