Building Rock Pillars

pollywog08

I have seen on youtube where someone built one with a plastic base and a lenght of pvc pipe attached to the center. They then took LR, drilled holes on the ends, strung them together with fishing line and place around the pvc pipe, stacking them as they went. Also seen somewhat the same thing done, but with nylon threaded rod, drilled hole in the center of the LR and stacked as you go. I plan on trying this one day. Think it would work well with shelf LR.

subee950

Pvc and zip ties is a good way make sure you drill holes in the pvc so water can get in and out. You can also ues expoxy puddy in need be.

jmick

Originally Posted by TexasMetal
http:///forum/post/2698526
Acrylic rods placed through drilled holes in the rock attached to a larger heavy base rock.
I've seen it down this way with amazing results! Not sure where to get the rods but I'd imagine you can get something that'll work at your local HomeDepot.

cjqsmom

been there and havent found anything yet. I have a 30" tall tank and I am afraid of an avalance we purchased more rock but are waiting for it to cure before putting it in the tank and I just want to get it done once so no disasters

texasmetal

Look for an acrylic/glass shop in your area. You could use very small diameter PVC, but you need to drill lots of holes in it so it isn't a dead spot. Plus you'd have to have a pretty big drill bit to accomodate the size of the smallest PVC you're gonna find.
Epoxy alone just isn't going to hold up well so I advise not going that route.

cjqsmom

I have seen some structures built with pvc and IMO it looks cheap. I was hoping to not see what even I use to hold it together. Drill bits are no problem as I have probally 500+ and ofcourse I would buy a new one for my rock.

cjqsmom

Thank you Mr. X
I have been looking locally but havent found any I will just order it online now.
Celeste

alohami

Just throwing an idea out there, but what about using Pex, the 1/4" dia. flexible water line? It isn't absolutely rigid like PVC or acrylic rods, but it seems like it would be rigid enough to hold things together. I know that is readily available at hardware and home improvement stores, and it seems like it would be easier to hide in the rock work.

mr_x

1/2" acrylic rods are basically transparent. i would not trust anything less than rigid material to hold up a 40 pound pillar of rock in my tank.

alohami

Well, yes, it would definitely depend on how big of a formation you are trying to stabilize. It was just an idea I had that might work for smaller applications.