Building your own tank?

dani

Hi,
I think I'd like to make my own acrylic tank. Has anyone here done this? I saw a few websites with build plans, but am not 100% sure if I am going to do this or not.
Otherwise, I will be looking for a tank somewhere between 75-100 gallons and will build my own stand and canopy. I'm currently moving to a new place, but will set up shop in the garage.
Any info would be helpful

C

crowsridge

If you are going to do this, try building a sump, refugium and other things for practice first.
I built a 336 gallon tank and believed the store personel I bout the acrylic from. Dont believe it if someone tells you a good table saw blade will give you a good edge. I did, and it didnt! Use a jointer on your edges before gluing.
It lasted for about 6 months and then failed. About 300 gallons spraying out into the family room floor. Not a good thing!
Just my 2 cents worth!
Good luck, Chris

O

osufarker

Done it several times with glass, but never with acrylic. I prefer glass because of the scratching factor. Glass is easy IMO. Lay the sides out around the bottom, run a thin bead of silicone on the bottom, lift the sides into place, use some tape to hold the pieces, and then apply the inner silicone seam.