Built a custom 125 stand--FINISHED!!!

thegrog

FINALLY!!! My custom 125 stand is done!!! Well....almost. Still have to install those little thinggies that keep the doors closed.
The first two are of the stand and canopy as it sits. The tank lights are off so you can see the stand itself without the halides messing up the brightness.
The third is of all the doors (except the "secret" side door) open.
More pics to follow!

thegrog

Here are more pics!

A closer view of the side door
The canopy corner
The stand corner
The sump/fuge (still don't have lighting installed thus it's plainness of the fuge)
Last one is a view of the inside of the canopy. Lights are on so kinda hard to see, but you get the idea. It is open to allow my halide pendants (a third one will be coming) room as well as the fan that sits in the side compartment to blow plenty of air across the water surface keeping it cool. No need for a chiller here!!

thegrog

For those of you who are interested in the framework, there is a previous thread entitled "Built a custom 125 stand) that has pics of the construction process.
It took me about 2 weeks to get it all done...but about a week of that was me doing other things (like moving everything into the tank instead of working on the canopy). I could have gotten it all done in less than a week.
Total cost:
Materials: ~$200
Beer: $40
Grey Hairs: $9.99 for the just-for-men kit
Sitting in front of my new tank knowing I built it....priceless!
:happy:

thegrog

Originally Posted by hobbes
You did an excellent job Thegrog! I hope when I build mine it comes out looking that good.
Thanks!
What I would definately do if I had to do it again:
1. Have the actual tank in the same palce as where you are building the stand. This is so you can test fit everything on site. Also so you don't have to make a zillion trips up and down the stairs measuring and re-measuring.
2. Make the stand and canopy at the same time. I missed on the measurement and have a 3/8 gap from the end of the canopy to the tall cabinate
3. Give myself more than a week to get it done and have the tank up and running for the big move.
4. Use 1/2 instead of 1/4" oak plywood. more stable and you don't constantly worry about cracking it. On the negative side, 1/2 is more prone to warp and is harder to bend back.
5. Less beer durring construction. Nothing worse than having to use a router in the morning with a screaming hangover-headache!! :scared:

rickd

Originally Posted by TheGrog
5. Less beer durring construction. Nothing worse than having to use a router in the morning with a screaming hangover-headache!! :scared:
6. Drink more beer it fixes everything

thegrog

Thanks for the complements.
This may sicken some of you, but this was my first attempt at any sort of cabinate/stand that I have ever tried. Just measured everything 2 or 3 times, think things through carefully before doing them, and getting lucky that things turned out was my secrets.

bishop82

Awesome stand Grog. I live up in Peoria area about an hour north of you I'm starting to build a stand for my tank as well. Maybe one of these days when i'm down in that area checking out the LFS's we could hook up and you could give me a few pointers.

thegrog

Originally Posted by Bishop82
Awesome stand Grog. I live up in Peoria area about an hour north of you I'm starting to build a stand for my tank as well. Maybe one of these days when i'm down in that area checking out the LFS's we could hook up and you could give me a few pointers.
Sure thing! Let me know when you will be down!

bronco300

great looking stand Grog!!! what made you not add the tall cabinet on the other side, out of curiosity? I should make that for my other 75 gallon tank, or have my dad, since he is an actual woodworker, lol. Looks great though, good job!!
Luke P :happyfish

bronco300

oh, and what stain did you use for that stand??? i have a custom made stand my dad made for it, but we didnt stain it because i was in a hurry to get it, lol...but i loved how your wood looked after it was stained. thanks
luke P

thegrog

I didn't do the tall cabinate on the other side because I did want some end-on viewing. I just wish the overflow/return bulkheads were reversed so I would have more room so see end on (the corner overflow is on the left).
As for stain, I used the Minwax Polyshades Classic Walnut. 3 coats. This stuff has the stain and the polyurethane in one coat. Just be sure to sand everything smooth (and getting all the dust off) before the first coat and rubbing with fine steel wool between coats!

bronco300

ahhh, i understand, cant do without some side viewing, lol. why did you use fine steel wool in between the finishes??
Luke P

thegrog

Originally Posted by Bronco300
ahhh, i understand, cant do without some side viewing, lol. why did you use fine steel wool in between the finishes??
Luke P
For starters, the instructions say to. You do it to take the shine off the previous coat so the next one sticks to it firmly. You also do it to remove any little dust or sanding particles that stick to the surface of the previous coat. Piling up layers on them will make them more obvious.
Just be sure to clean the dust and steel fibers off real well (used a shop vac and a slightly damp rag) before the next coat!

bronco300

awesome, i'll be sure to pick some up sometime...however i wont be able to put it on for a year...i dont want to mess with it while it has 500lbs in it...be a big pain! lol..but thanks for the info, appreciate all your help!!
Luke P

thegrog

Originally Posted by sw65galma
When are you going to be in the boston area? lol
Nice work....
Send me a plane ticket, get me a hotel room, arrange a place for me to build one with all the tools & supplies that I need, and a little bit of ca$h, and I'll be in Boston soon! :hilarious