Bullying Fish

tonynader

i just purchased a flame hawk for my 28, and after a couple minutes my clowns went and attacked it. is there any technique or way i can prevent this? maybe turning off lights? i dunno...help

reefforbrains

You can pull all three out and move around the rockwork and re-introduce them.
Or just leave everything alone and see how severe it really is. Are they hosting? If so, move thier host to a corner to create max real estate for everyone else.
If not hosting, get them a host. They will be almost drunken with delight playing in the new host and forget about the rest of the world.
Either way sooner or later the odds are they will bully the hawk and create boundries. Nothing new there, Clowns are fearsome attackers if you invade what they have claimed. Everything will take time for territory to be established but then no worries.
Just keep an eye on them for now. if scales actuall start to fly, then perhaps someone has to be moved out.

tonynader

it weird, my clowns actually host on the top back wall of the tank. and the hawk posted up there and when he did the clowns attacked it but it never moved away untill i moved it.

tonynader

+since the hawk moved away from the clowns hosting area at the top wall, the hawk seemed fine as long as it keeps its distance from that area.

tonynader

well why of all the fish i added before this, they never went for them? just cuz it went in their host area for a minute or two?

arvins

How many fish do you have in your 28? It's possible that its overcrowded and the clowns have given up as much of their territory as they intend to. If thats the case your best bet is going to be to remove a few fish from the system, if you don't have to many fish in the tank they could just be making sure the hawk knows to stay away from their area. It's like any other animal though, if there is room for them to solve the problem and set up their own space then they will be ok, if theres not room then someone may get hurt.

roadie996

the same thing happened when I introduced my flame hawkfish, the damsels and clowns kept picking on him for a day or so, but now they all get along great, and he's the top fish in the tank!

arvins

Yep there will always be a scuffle when a new guy goes in to the tank. As long as there is room for everyone to have their own private space the scuffle will happen and subside and all "should" be well. Like I said depends on tank size and the number of fish though

arvins

With 7 fish in a 28 gallon tank I'd say you're going to have trouble. Seems like to many fish for the tank
which is going to cause fighting. I'd maybe take a couple of them out and see if you can trade them in at the LFS for something like corals or food or something along those lines. It seems with that many fish in the tank theres just not enough room to prevent territorial disputes.

tonynader

so confusedd....i just spoke to the person at the LFS i bought the flame hawk from and told him the situation and that i had 7 fish. He said its perfectly normal that the clowns attacked it for going in their territory and that the 7 fish i had werent overcrowding at all taht my tank is big enought for all that. so im a bit confused. should i go with you guys and eliminated like 2 fish out?

arvins

It is normal for them to be fighting when I new guy enters the tank yes. All I was saying is that the tank might be overcrowded based on the adult size of all 7 of those fish in that size tank, therefore they might not stop fighting. Then again they might, its your tank though so you have to decide if you want to take the risk and keep them all

I have 5 fish in my 55 with 90lbs of rock and a skimmer rated to a 120 gallon tank. So really it depends on alot of stuff, how much rock do you have, what size skimmer, do you run a sump, how often do you do water changes??? If you can keep up with the water changes and keep your levels from going crazy AND all of those fish can get along and be healthy in your tank then go for it if you want, again it's your tank. However, they may never get along due to space (and therefore territory) issues.
Just my .02 though.

tonynader

thats totallty understandable. BUt yes i believe it looks too crowded so im going to take out 2 fish and bring to LFS. Hopefully after that all will be good again