Buy a wet/dry?

jennlegend

I have a 55gal and currently run an Emperor 800...I only have LR in the tank now and some damsels. I am looking to make this a reef tank with coral and just 2-3 fish. I am considering a wet/dry. I was looking for a post on the benefits of this system and could not find one. Would a wet/dry be a good purchase? I noticed many people use them, but then some who do not?!?! Thanks!

rjpsj1

Based on the size of the tank you have now and your plans, what you seems fine. I have a 90 gal tank with sump, and its great. I also have 100 lbs of live rock. I use the sump as a space saver, not having hanging on the tank. If you really want a small sump, they do make ones that hang on the tank and include protein skimmers. If you feel you need more than you have now, an addition of a protein skimmer would probably be all you need.
If you maintain the tank regularly, you dont need to overdue on the filtration system.

jennlegend

I was wrong, I have an Emperor 400 (with Biowheel), not 800...do you still that this would work on a reef tank? Thanks!

I have the Emperor 400, and I think it is the best power filter out there, IMO. And yes, I have a skimmer and powerheads, too.
I just think that you can't beat the combination of filters in the Emperor, plus 400 gph of circulation, and good surface aggitation that it puts out. The powerheads, I use for getting rid of dead spots in the tank. Keep the filters changed, and the carbon replaced approx. every 6 weeks, and you will have no problems with it.

One thing that I forgot to tell you about the Emperor 400. There is a button in the middle of the top that you can regulate the flow with by pushing it down or pulling it up. When you go to feed your critters, push it all the way down. That will stop the flow going to the main pump, and therefore, not get the food sucked up through the intake and clog your filters too fast.
Many people have complained that the filters get clogged up too fast, and did not know about the button up on top. After you have fed the fish, pull it up again, and the flow will return to normal.
Hope this helps.