buyin Vs making.

ja138522

I have a store about 30 minutes from my house where i can buy saltwater for my tank but with the cost of gas so high i wondered if it would be worth it to make my own salt water. They're cost is about $1.10 a gallon, If so what is the best way to make it myself.
Is there a formula, Can i use tap water as long as it cycles for a while. Can i order the salt online.
Thanks.

teresaq

What water are you using now if any??
For your best value- buy a reverse osmosis system with DI - Get a bucket or brute trash can depending on the size of your tank and a bucket of salt that can be bought on line or lfs or even petsmart, a water pump to mix it and make your own.

acrylic51

Agree....Make your own....the investment in an RO/DI isn't that bad, and the piece of mind of actually knowing your water quality vs trusting that to someone else.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja138522 http:///forum/thread/386110/buyin-vs-making#post_3389325
I have a store about 30 minutes from my house where i can buy saltwater for my tank but with the cost of gas so high i wondered if it would be worth it to make my own salt water. They're cost is about $1.10 a gallon, If so what is the best way to make it myself.
Is there a formula, Can i use tap water as long as it cycles for a while. Can i order the salt online.
Thanks.
Lets do the math on this then. If you have a 55g tank (I think that is what you have). To get set up and running for the first year you would need to fill it completely once so.. 55 x $1.10= $60.50.
Then you need to do like a 10% WC every two weeks. 10% x 55g = 5.5g lets just say 5g to make it easy 5g x 26 =130g for the year worth or water changes so 130g x $1.10 = $143.00. So for the first year of maintaining your salt water tank you have $203.50. And this is if you don't have any emergencys that require a larger WC. I am sure most people will tell you that this is a "when" not an "if" you will have issues. This also does not count the price of fuel for your car going an hour round trip to purchase water.
You can get a good RO/DI unit for like $150.00 a bucket of salt should cost you around $50.00- $60.00
Making your own water will pay for its self in a year or so.
This is the case for most people who get in to salt water. In the long run it is just cheaper to make your own water using an RO/DI unit. Now if you were to dip your toes in saltwater fish keeping for a couple of months and then get out of it... well then buying by the gallon is the cheapest.
Now you can get RO/DI water from the local super store (Walmart, or any other large store like that) where they have the purified water station. It usually sells for between $.29 -$.45/ gallon and then mix with salt at home. This can save you the $150.00 -$200.00 for a good RO/DI unit... But if you do more math you will find out that paying the up front cost of the RO/DI unit will pay for its self in the long run as well.
Hope this helps.

flower

One thing to consider if you buy your unit...check on the price of replacment filters, they are not created equal. Some units have filters that work only with their make and model and have outrageous prices on the replacments. A 5 stage unit is better than the 1 or the 3 for best water quality.

teresaq

I have the TYPHOON III AQUARIUM RODI 75 this a very nice unit and easy to change filter out.
T