buying a LFS, what you like to see in the perfect LFS

ren

Clean tanks,service,knowlegde. I have 1 LFS that they guy Q's all his fish for a month before he offers em for sale. His LR is fully cured for a month before its offered for sale. First time I went to him he wanted to know everything about my tank first - size,filteration,inhabbants,water conditions - all before he'd offer anything for sale. If there was something I wanted that wouldn't co-exist, he wouldn't sale it. All signs of someone into the hobby - not out for a buck.

volitan

THere is one LFS in OKC that sells premixed salt water, and RO/DI water. It is extremely convenient to load up the 5 gallon jugs and go see the LFS once a week for water. They also do free water testing.

They have a couple good places here in L.A., a few of them sell seawater direct from catalina I believe, it really is convenient. justin

i would definatly not like to see dead fish in the tank .. i understand that some fish will die but take them out .. i know if i walk into a store and i see a a few tanks and they have dead fish in them and you can see they have been there for awhile i will not buy from them and i also tell my friends not to as well .. so always keep it clean .. it will pay off in the end

treble

My Favorite LFS:
Has fish that are held for a week before sale, and have time to ajust to captivity. They have clean and well maintained tanks. No dead fish, and if a fish is sick theres a sign on the tank that says "not for sale". They have good prices that are not out of line, but not cheap. A good knowledgable staff, thats cares where the fish will go. Always willing to order in what you need.

teetee

To always remember that a customer has honoured you by choosing your store to spend their hard earned money. An lfs that honours their clients will be guaranteed repeat sales and excellent word of mouth promotion. Good luck! :p

fishymissy

I like stores that offer aquacultured rock, fish and inverts (when applicable). I also would like a store that refuses to sell inappropriate animals like anemones(unless captive propagated), moorish idols, mandarins, etc. Also stores that will not sell fish when there is a problem in their own tanks. It's also good to have sales people that actually know something about saltwater, that have actual experience with them. A decent return policy that not only includes the death of a recently bought fish, but one that will also incompass compatability problems. I'm not suggesting unlimited returns, but a 2 day "return for any reason" type thing (you would still need to bring in a water sample if the fish dies and of course if water quality is the problem, then all bets are off) I would also like a store that sells not only NO lights but also MH or PC lights and bulbs!!! Much more convient to buy the bulbs from the store rather than waiting for them to be delivered (in an emergency situation) That last one is kinda iffy, but hey, it's my wish list! ;)

obx fish

A good LFS should have what a person needs for their tank. Not every time you need something you have to "come back next week when it comes in." Give people some kind of guarantee on their fish. After all we're not scientists, how are the hobbyists supposed to know all the signs of all these weird diseases fish can have. CLEAN TANKS with proper equipment on them so people can SEE what they need in working order. Experinced staff. Good selection and not salesman. Understanding you want to sell products but when certain things aren't necessary don't push it on people or make them feel like they can't have a thriving tank without it.
Good Luck with your new store!

The Perfect Fish Store IMO
I would sell only saltwater fish and corals. As mentioned above all fish would be Q-d and if it says cured L/R then it would be!! I would have free reef keeping classes on saturday mornings. The first week bigginers the second more advanced so on and so on. This would be a good thing if it is NOT a small town. I know that after some time this would end up being a reef tank club where the senior members would end up teaching the newbies.
This would keep good customers coming back to the store and be the "meeting place" for those into the hobby.
I would sell hard to keep livestock but it would be clearly marked and they would be well informed about them. I would stand behind the product I sell therefore I would not be the cheapest around. Every aspect of the reef store would be the best around. I would keep eveything clean and the store wouldn't smell! I would sell saltwater and ro/di water. The customer could pre-pay for 100 gallons at a very cheap price (no profit)This would make them come to the store alot.
oh I could go on forever and I'm to tired
see-ya

These are all realy great reqests. Just Remember make a plan and stay with it. Be relible. And find one thing that you compation dosn't do that you want as a custermer and do it. I'm still working on plans to open my own store here were I'm at. Shop around you and make your store a better experance. Peace, and Great luck.

These are all realy great reqests. Just Remember make a plan and stay with it. Be relible. And find one thing that you compation dosn't do that you want as a custermer and do it. I'm still working on plans to open my own store here were I'm at. Shop around you and make your store a better experance. Peace, and Great luck.

karlas

clean store, knowledgeble sales people. a store that is willing to help with a fish especially if bought there. good line of products (variety), good selection of live stock (fish,lr,inverts, corals).competitive prices. healthy looking fish and tanks, quarenteen fish before selling

kelly

Lar,
Most people want honest people to deal with and reasonable pricing on the products they offer. The word honest encompasses alot of things, including knowledge of the product/services you offer.
If you have employees, make sure they know the business/products and are not totally sales oriented. Yes sales are important, but the customer being satisfied after the purchase will bring them back.
Offer a variety of products that will do their job, and do not offer products that you do not believe in. Be willing to help those that need help, but do not be to quick to criticize. Learn when to talk / listen and when to get back to work.
As others have mentioned, make sure your tanks are clean and disease free. Be fair with you return priviledges, but remember to explain how to acclimate fish, corals and inverts. A how to sheet would not be out of line, and a water sample on returned saltwater/freshwater fish would not hurt either.
Be careful when special ordering items for customers, a deposit and your policy on these items should be made known up front.
If you use special lighting on your tanks, try to make the same lighting available in your store. Do not put in VHO, PC or MH lighting, and then do not sell it. The customer will wonder why your stuff always does better in the show tank than theirs. Offer test kits that you use, and do not be afraid to suggest others that will help. Have in stock some good books on what you offer, and don't be afraid to recommend them gaining knowledge before starting, especially in saltwater.
With livestock, offer items that will live in most tanks, and if you offer specialty items, make sure the consumer has a knowledge of how to care for it. You can not be everything to everyone, and you will learn how to "read" people over time. Set your rules and stand by them.
Be open atleast one evening, and remember to take time for your family and your own needs. I wish you the best of luck in you venture. I wanted to do that about 32 years ago, but could not get backing, I was only 16 at the time. Now I would like to be a coral farmer, and hopefully that will work out.
Again, I wish you the best of luck, and don't forget to keep in touch with us in the forum.

All of the above plus steer people to this BB or other online BB's and sites for good info like reefs.org.
Having the classes that would develop into a club is a great idea. Sell captive bred whenever possible. Buy frags from your customers for cash. Offer in home consultations for a reasonable rate. Offer a tank moving service, or rent the needed supplies for moving a tank. Give a species information sheet with each purchase. I have a notebook with info sheets on all the species I have and a record of water parameters along with dates I added what to my tank. My sons freinds use the notebook frequently...two of them have started tanks and keep the same kind of notebook.
Most important of all....Share your plans with the Lord and you will succeed. Proverbs 16:3
Best of luck in your new endeavor, you must be very excited.

ky

I would have several display tanks with none of the contents for sale. In the different tanks I would have different options, like CC in one, DSB in another, MH in one and VHO in another, etc. I would have all of the parameters posted on the outside of the tanks along with all of the additives used. That way people can look at them and make their own decisions based on what they see.