Buying fish online

srfisher17

I've commented many times that I've bought all my fish from Online dealers for years and will never change.The guarantee, selection, service & knowledge of the dealers is great.I've gotten several PMs ,and other comments, about the high shipping cost. Here's what I've done, I hope it will help some other fish addicts. I live about 15 min from a FedEx "Hold at location" site and don't get FedEx delivery until mid-afternoon. Hold at location livestock can be picked up at 9AM. Using Craigs List, local shopper papers, and some other resources; we have developed a list of about a dozen fellow hobbiests who also live within driving distance of the FedEx site---in every direction imaginable. When one of is is going to order, we notify the rest of the group, meet at FedEx, divide our fish, and split the flat rate shipping charge (each share is always less than what sales tax would be). Depending on the dealer, we can often get free shipping by pooling orders. This also works well with frozen food, the online price of of which is MUCH lower than any LFS I know of and the selection is amazing. Hopes this can help some folks!

jackri

I agree this is a great way to go especially if the lfs is sub par in your area. I have had really great luck with one company in particular but I can't name them here. (swf.com does a good job as well of course).

R

rcreations

The local reef club here does the same thing. When one person wants to order something, we get together and do a mass order and split the shipping cost. Works really well. Even if you only get 3 people interested, it still makes a big difference.

kjr_trig

I certainly like to support small business (i.e. the local fish store), but the service from the stores here just doesn't compare to what I get from the online sites I have used. Throw in the guarantee, price, and selection and it's a no-brainer for me. All my fish are purchased online.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/3170896
I certainly like to support small business (i.e. the local fish store), but the service from the stores here just doesn't compare to what I get from the online sites I have used. Throw in the guarantee, price, and selection and it's a no-brainer for me. All my fish are purchased online.
Yep. On our last "group order", we bought a total of 23 fish and only 1 died during the 15 day guarantee period. My share of the shipping was about $7.

noah's nemo

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/3170896
I certainly like to support small business
(i.e. the local fish store), but the service from the stores here just doesn't compare to what I get from the online sites I have used. Throw in the guarantee, price, and selection and it's a no-brainer for me. All my fish are purchased online.
I have an LFS whos been around 20+ .He recently went to all salt selection of fish.He may now have to cut hours ,just not enough locals supporting the buisness anymore.Its kinda sad really.I have always went there and will continue until the inevitable happens.At that point i will never buy another fish
. Yeah right, but as long as i can i will support the little guys
I wish more of us would ,if we are able.We are all in an expensive hobby and obviously are able to afford it.Is a few saved dollars on shipping really that big of a deal?I just feel bad for this nice family run buisness i have trusted for years.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Noah's Nemo
http:///forum/post/3170959
I have an LFS whos been around 20+ .He recently went to all salt selection of fish.He may now have to cut hours ,just not enough locals supporting the buisness anymore.Its kinda sad really.I have always went there and will continue until the inevitable happens.At that point i will never buy another fish
. Yeah right, but as long as i can i will support the little guys
I wish more of us would ,if we are able.We are all in an expensive hobby and obviously are able to afford it.Is a few saved dollars on shipping really that big of a deal?I just feel bad for this nice family run buisness i have trusted for years.
Unfortunately, the lfs you do business is the exception, IMO. I can remember when the lfs was a great source of help & info; I just think that has become the exception, rather than the rule. They also have the PETCOs to deal with. The number of posts on this forum that are the result of poor advice or unhealthy livestock from many lfs speaks for itself. I don't like to see neighborhood businesses driven off either; but I can't see how they can compete in today's online market. Another factor; the nearest decent lfs to me is a 3 hour round trip, they never have what I want, the employees know more about pimples than fish,and the fish carry no guarantee. If I had a lfs like the old ones, I'd shop there too.

florida joe

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/3169824
I've commented many times that I've bought all my fish from Online dealers for years and will never change.The guarantee, selection, service & knowledge of the dealers is great.I've gotten several PMs ,and other comments, about the high shipping cost. Here's what I've done, I hope it will help some other fish addicts. I live about 15 min from a FedEx "Hold at location" site and don't get FedEx delivery until mid-afternoon. Hold at location livestock can be picked up at 9AM. Using Craigs List, local shopper papers, and some other resources; we have developed a list of about a dozen fellow hobbiests who also live within driving distance of the FedEx site---in every direction imaginable. When one of is is going to order, we notify the rest of the group, meet at FedEx, divide our fish, and split the flat rate shipping charge (each share is always less than what sales tax would be). Depending on the dealer, we can often get free shipping by pooling orders. This also works well with frozen food, the online price of of which is MUCH lower than any LFS I know of and the selection is amazing. Hopes this can help some folks!
deserving of a pin in my opinion

R

rcreations

Out of the fish I have about half were bought online, the other half at the LFS. Both places are good and the LFS fish did just as well as the online fish. I really have no preference... if I'm looking for a specific fish, I just buy from where I can find a nice specimen first. However, I only buy WYSIWYG fish online, no way I'm buying a fish I don't get to see first.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by RCreations
http:///forum/post/3170998
Out of the fish I have about half were bought online, the other half at the LFS. Both places are good and the LFS fish did just as well as the online fish. I really have no preference... if I'm looking for a specific fish, I just buy from where I can find a nice specimen first. However, I only buy WYSIWYG fish online, no way I'm buying a fish I don't get to see first.
I'm that way with the more rare & unusual fish (which don't work with "pooled" orders for me); but with everyday fish, I always seem to get just what I want. Online dealers will almost always pay attention to your special concerns. Most of my "pool" orders are corals & other inverts lately and that has been a very good experience.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/3170980
I don't like to see neighborhood businesses driven off either; but I can't see how they can compete in today's online market.
I think a lot of it will have to do with local markets as well. In Miami, and Southern California, I foresee that there always will be 15-20 LFS's. There just are that many people into aquaria in those markets to support it. And in other parts of the country, agreed, the online retailer allows them to have an awesome source for their aquaria stuff.
About shipping costs, I view it as "what if my LFS offered a 15-day guarantee on their fish, for $35 (average online shipping costs), would I pay for it?" For any fish over $75, which seems like that's all I'm buying anymore, the answer is definitely yes.
As for the WYSIWYG, I hope that SWF realizes now with two big competitors with legitimate WYSIWYG options, SWF will see that customers are willing to spend a touch more to see their exact specimen before purchase.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3171058
I think a lot of it will have to do with local markets as well. In Miami, and Southern California, I foresee that there always will be 15-20 LFS's. There just are that many people into aquaria in those markets to support it. And in other parts of the country, agreed, the online retailer allows them to have an awesome source for their aquaria stuff.
About shipping costs, I view it as "what if my LFS offered a 15-day guarantee on their fish, for $35 (average online shipping costs), would I pay for it?" For any fish over $75, which seems like that's all I'm buying anymore, the answer is definitely yes.
As for the WYSIWYG, I hope that SWF realizes now with two big competitors with legitimate WYSIWYG options, SWF will see that customers are willing to spend a touch more to see their exact specimen before purchase.
That's a good way of justifying shipping costs. With me the "pooling" has been a way to meet some fellow hobbyists in an area where we are few and far between. I like to do business with SWF; but only for very basic animals. Their service & price is great----IMO & IME. I also wish they would change the pic of the Harlequin Tusk on their site, they show an Aussie and sell an Indo-Pacific variety. Not that big of a deal; I've been bugging them about it since the photo-shopped photo contest. Tell me that the pic of the Pink Square Anthias hasn't been photo-shopped!