Buying live rock from lfs

ls244

I am a complete noob as you can tell...I was curious if I go buy live rock from the LFS do I take a container with water in it to out it in? Or does it just depend on the store or what? If someone had a link to a writeup for setting up a tank for dummies that would be great. Im am very close to getting ready to setup my tank. I just want to get everything needed so it will be done right..

noah's nemo

GO SLOW,at everything you do!Don't even plan on adding fish for at least a month or 2.As far as LR ,I got all mine from my LFS(5.99 a lb).You'll have no die off.If you take a bucket they may fill it and put the rock in for transport(mine did)Try posting future questions in the new hobbyist,your likely to get more attention there.Good luck,and keep asking questions.
Welcome to the boards,very friendly place.

alix2.0

only time ive ever gotten LR from a LFS they wrapped it in wet newspaper, bagged it in plastic, and then put it in a cardboard box. im not sure if all stores do it that way though, i dont usually go to LFS cause i dont like paying their prices.

ls244

Alright sounds good! Thank you for the quick replys! I dont plan on going fast at all. I dont want to end up losing money by going to fast.. Ive been wanting to start it up for awhile. But I just returned from vacation and didnt wanna leave a new tank for a week.

fishkid13

Originally Posted by alix2.0
http:///forum/post/3069513
only time ive ever gotten LR from a LFS they wrapped it in wet newspaper, bagged it in plastic, and then put it in a cardboard box. im not sure if all stores do it that way though, i dont usually go to LFS cause i dont like paying their prices.
I don't know about your LFS but even the cheapist website is way pricey, that that includes the shipping.

nanomantis

Personally I prefer the fact that I can inspect a specimen before I purchase it. Thats reason enough to buy from a LFS.
@OP I'd buy a good book.

ls244

Well come to find out there is a LFS about 35 mins from my house that I didnt know about. One of my friends who is really into snakes and reptiles knows the owner very well. He just opened it. Its a store dedicated to reptiles and aqauriums!

Im going to check it out very soon!

alix2.0

i only buy from LFS or order online if i cant find anything else. i get most of my stuff from going to local kiko auctions and from local reefers. MUCH cheaper that way.

ls244

I prefer buying anything locally over buying from the net! Because I can see what I'm buying and examine it in person. But I also don't have a problem with buying from the net either.
But back on topic. What books would you reccomend?

flower

Originally Posted by ls244
http:///forum/post/3069481
I am a complete noob as you can tell...I was curious if I go buy live rock from the LFS do I take a container with water in it to out it in? Or does it just depend on the store or what? If someone had a link to a writeup for setting up a tank for dummies that would be great. Im am very close to getting ready to setup my tank. I just want to get everything needed so it will be done right..

There is a book called "saltwater aquariums for dummies" it is just a silly name...it is very informative and made for the beginner. It explains in plain english the whys and the why nots and how to set things up and even where to look for certian things.
The LFS will supply you with a way to transport whatever you buy from them.

fishkid13

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3070115

There is a book called "saltwater aquariums for dummies" it is just a silly name...it is very informative and made for the beginner. It explains in plain english the whys and the why nots and how to set things up and even where to look for certian things.
The LFS will supply you with a way to transport whatever you buy from them.
does it spell in "english"

alix2.0

ive heard that the dummies book is kind of worthless. the concientious marine aquarist is highly recommended. i havent read either one though.

king_neptune

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/sta...ss/aqsetup.htm
this is the very basic basic basic instructions. but it really simplifies every thing in a few pages, you can get a picture of whats going to be needed from setup to cycle.
you did the right thing comming to a forum and asking away. you will grow in this hobby if you read read read. followed by asking tons of questions.
i would recommend buying your LR right hear on SWF.com, they sell at about $4 lb. that is the best price ive seen anywhere.
i have never heard anything negative about the customer service, only high praise. I plan to do my future purchases hear.
when you go to your LFS...check to see how they keep the tanks. are they pristine? or nasty? how are the fish? are they happy and healthy? or are they keeping a dozen fish in a20 gallon tank. you can get a feel for a place if you keep your eyes open.
My favorite one is absolutely pristine. Its a hole in the wall, not much bigger than a tool shed, and at first you think no big deal, it was originally a maintenance room for a dentist office, but they rent the space out. However, looking deeper, the owners keep it in tip top shape and all the hardware and guts of all they're tanks are open in plain site, and always clean and new looking. the water is perfect and clear. the fish are always healthy. The proper fish are in the proper tank size, and no overcrowding goes on.

superhero

hey ls244 i would say listen to the king and check that thread out its great info and its free... as far as LR there are many ways you can go... you could get dead base rock then buy a few pieces of LR to seed the base rock... which will eventually become alive... or you could check your local craigslist... you can usually find good deals on there like 1 or 2 dollars a pound... good luck and welcome to the boards

-Tony

ls244

Thank you guys. I'm going to start reading the link you posted king! And once agin thanks guys. Alot of other forums I've been on have real smarta$$. People but so far everyone here has answered my noobie questions with great support!