Buying online

lar

Sooo people are actually buying fish online, they ship them in a bag for 24 plus hours and all is way when you receive them. air cargo is where they reside I assume. prices are better then local retailer, shipping $ I do not know about. But they live? Even tangs ick free with all the stress. It would be cool if true.

kris

Except how do you know these fish aren't swimming around with fifteen others at the on-line place's facilities?? Are you suggesting that as soon as we place our orders they just run on down to the ocean and pick one up-- well now that doesn't sound very feasible. However, I have ordered fish from this site, (i was a little reluctant) and honestly they were the most impressive fish I've seen of my particular varieties. (I got a lemonpeel and an atlantic blue) I even e-mailed this site telling them how impressed I was. They came perfectly shipped in a styrofoam box with heat-packs, for the Minnesota weather. And they were stuck tight together so there would be no shifting of the bags. They were truly beautiful, healthy, fat fish and they acclimated readily. I was thrilled. Try it, but as with any source, QUARANTINE for three weeks first, because you never know.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
And when you order these fish do you guys just wait around at home 24/7 until the fish arrive??? I can't imagine having the postman leaving the fish package in your mailbox to be very healthy for the fish...what happens?

kris

No, beth I didn't hang out all day. They e-mailed me the night before (around 7pm) that they had been shipped and to expect them before 3pm the following day. Pretty slick.

trigga

I buy stuff on-line and from my pet store before they put it in their tanks. There is no difference between the 2 with the exception that fish of the net are cheaper. Sometimes you can pay an extra 5 bucks and the fish get there by 10am.

lanee

Beth...when you buy fish online, they use FedEX, and the package usually has to be signed for. They tell you it'll be there before 3pm, or before 10am for and extra $5. If you're not home when they try to deliver the first time...then you can go pick up the package the same day. But, if it's not signed for when they first deliver...that usually voids any guarantees (ie: arive alive, stay alive).

mainejo1

Nothing against buying online in general, as there are certain things that are more economical and convenient to order that way.However, what about the local guy who is trying to make a living who is the first person you will run to in a crisis situation? I personally like to patronize my local fish store who has been extremely helpful to me as I have been learning. I like to support the local economy, and if my fish store takes care of me, I will take care of them.

mgochay

Originally posted by MaineJo1:
Nothing against buying online in general, as there are certain things that are more economical and convenient to order that way.However, what about the local guy who is trying to make a living who is the first person you will run to in a crisis situation? I personally like to patronize my local fish store who has been extremely helpful to me as I have been learning. I like to support the local economy, and if my fish store takes care of me, I will take care of them.

I tend to agree with you to a point. There are two fish stores where I live and both have salt water setups but rarely have more the 2-3 fish to choose from. I have to shop outta town for my fish so shopping on the net for fishies is gonna be my next step. Hey if there's a fish I want and the lfs doesn't have it, sometimes you just have to fill the need

kris

I totally agree with keeping my (not so local)fish store in buisness, trust me I do.
The reason I went to online is that never in her shop have I seen an Atlantic Blue tang or a reasonably sized lemonpeel. I am one of those people who knows exactly what I want. And I was tired of waiting. (I've done buisness with this woman for years) and never seen anything like what I got from this site.
and another good reason to but online is ofcourse the price-even with the shipping they cost less than HALF what I pay in my lfs.
[This message has been edited by Kris (edited 04-14-2000).]

fishgirl

AFTER HEARING THIS DISCUSSION, I'M CONVINCED TO BUY ANY NEW FISH I GET FROM THIS SITE RIGHT HERE! I WILL STILL GET MY SALT, SUPPLIES, AND STUFF FROM MY LFS, JUST TO KEEP THEM GOING. I CAN'T WAIT! I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT THEY WERE MORE EXPENSIVE, AND WERN'T SHIPPED RIGHT TO YOUR DOOR! IT SOUNDS PURFECT, LIKE A DREAM.
MY LFS I DNICE, BUT EVERY FISH I BUY HAS TO BE MEDICATED FOR SOMETHING WHEN I GET IT HOME! THANX, GUYS!

fishgirl

wait, how come u guys say they're cheaper, when the shipping makes up for it. i just looked at it and saw that the shipping is enough to equal the price of buying the fish at my lfs!

[This message has been edited by Fishgirl (edited 04-15-2000).]

S

sshorem

If you are buying one fish or one item it is generally not cost effective. If you are buying more than one thats where the savings mount up quickly. Also I have discovered that most of the dry goods, pumps, filters, salt, food, etc, is significantly cheaper on the web. As an example I have found the Bak Pak II on the web for $115. At the LFS it is $160, Instant ocean 200 gal bucket, web $32, LFS $65. These are just a couple of example. I bought a cleaner package from here and it was most excellent and I saved a ton of money

fishgirl

hey r u mike, the guy i (jean) just e-mailed my book 2??? your user name is sshorem, the first part of you email address!

oh yeah, u told me u bought a clean up package from here on one of our emails!