buying sw from lfs

pancho

I was wondering for you folks that buy your sw is it from the ocean or do they mix it up them selves. how much does it cost and is it worth it? just wondering because its not available where i live and if it was it would cost too much but there has to be an easier way to change 300 plus gallons of water a month.

cwfish

PANCO, don't take this the wrong way, but you have been in the hobby for 8 years, have 8 tanks with close to 1000 gallons combined and you have never mixed saltwater?

pancho

thanks skilos 1 i know how to mix water just wanted to get the opinion of those who live near the atlantic or pacific who may buy water or go to the ocean and get. again i live in the midwest (chicago) so i have no idea how they do it on the west coast or southern states near the atlantic

rockster

I don't think any LFS, whether located near the shore will get their saltwater directly from the ocean. It is easier to prepare one's own and it is safer.

store bought sw here in the bay is right out of the pacific off of half moon bay. but it is filtered and then distributed to all the stores and sold as Catalina seawater.
mixed sw with filtered water is easier than carrying 5g containers

cwfish

PANCO, I understand... I figured that you would have had to done that by now.. Oh well, seems to me that getting water delivered to home aquariums would be a major pain for a decent size tank.

bbreaux1

my lfs sells saltwater for 1$ a gallon i figure its cheaper just to mix my own with ro water and salt that way i know what im getting mostly

wrigley11

Actually, using water from the ocean is a really bad idea. one is you have no idea what is in the water. The second is the possibility of adding parasites is to great compared to the cost of salt mix.

indy1

My lfs mixes it's own SW and then I buy 5 gallons for $4.80.
P.S.ALWAYS CHECK YOUR SALINITY!!!!!!!