Buying used lr for FOWLR

G

gwhunter

As I've discussed in previous threads I'm looking to get some lr for my system. I was going to place an order here on SWF but kind of like to see the pieces of rock so I can have an idea of there size and shapes. So I started looking on Craigslist and found a lot of folks selling cured rock from tanks they're wanting to take down. Now i've read alot here about curing the rock but would it be nessesary if it just went from there tank to mine with minumal out of water time( less than a min)? Also what is considered a fair price. So of the rock I've looked at was covered in coraline and lots of life others that housed fish like tangs and angels cdrtainly was alive but not over run. I was thinking $2lbs for the later and $3lbs for the coraline stuff. Does this sound ok? Would I still need to cure it? Some of the people I've talk to want top dollar for rock with hardly any life on it.
Matt

G

gwhunter

Yes, the rock will be coming from tanks that are up and running for several years.
Matt

ca161406

dont pay any more for rock with coraline. it will grow out on the non covered rock, and if the cal. and kh in your tank are off the rock encrusted with it will turn white and die. choose the rocks with the best shape, not color.

G

gwhunter

Well, I took a long trip to the other side of the state and I didn't buy any rock. The rock was nice in shape and size but had no life on it. I wasn't even base rock growth. It's a shame since the shapes would have been great for making caves. So judging by the last post about calcium it may be best to do a water change and put a power head an heater in a rummermaid with the water from my tank and put any rock I get in it. For a quazi cure.
Matt

dragonboy

If its fish only you wouldn't need coralline since its only for looks. For fish only tank it will definitely be tough to maintain with calcium and alk swings. Plain live rock is fine I'm also thinking of going bare bottom.

G

gwhunter

I've spent the last week looking at LR for sale locally. I've yet to buy anything so far. The rock is almost always 90% devoid of life. And the sellers still wants $3-4lbs so I've not been too impressed. I understand that the rock will start to grow again in my tank. I'm wondering if the stuff I've looked at has beens exposed to copper or some other meds. So if the rock hasn't been medicated and just needs time to grow, what type of life will come back? I'm temped to just order a 100lbs from SWF or other online retailer. But I really like to pick the pieces out for good fitment.
Matt

crypt keeper

i only buy "used" rock from coral people. That way im pretty safe on no copper or othe rchemicals added to tank and most coral set ups are full of life

G

gwhunter

The ironic part is the advertisments say fiji premium and tonga branch. So I'm expecting some decent quality growth but evey pic I get looks like it's 75% devoid of life. I was hoping to limit the curing to a week of so by getting some well established rock but I doesn't look like it's going to pan out for me.
Matt