Calc question

allterr

Just did a 20% water change and parameters are as follows......
Ammonia-0
Trites-0
Trates-5
Temp-80.4
Dkh-10.2
SG-1.027
Ph-8.0
now for my question....
Cal-500...
Is it too high?..if so how to lower?..It always usually stays around 440-460....
Its a 10 gal. thats been going about 6 months....
Oh yeah...I dont add anything at all as far as buffers or additives......

trigger11

A calcium reading of 500 is starting to get on the high side but I wouldnt be greatly concerned yet. Is your system fish only or do you also have corals? If you have any corals they should be consuming calcium? If you are not using any additives then it would seem the increase may be due to the kind of salt you are using for your salt mix. Which would seem rather odd to me. How often are you doing water changes? And what kind of water are you using? Tapwater or RO/DI? By chance are you adding in any buffering mixes? I realize you mentioned you said you were not adding anything but maybe you are using something for a ph buffer, or alkalinity buffer and that contains calcium.

dmjordan

the high calcium is probably due to the sg your tank is at. some salts list they will maintain a calcium level of say 350 - 400 at a salinty of 1.024

allterr

Ahhh.....the SG would explain it thanks!! The only corals I have is a mushroom and some zoos....i do use Tropic Marin Pro Reef with RO/DI water about twice a week to keep nitrates in check..........