calcium dosing in a nano

melypr1985

Here's the situation. I cant afford all the fancy equipment that most people use for dosing. I can't get a reactor or pump or float switch or any other technical way of getting this calcium in my nano automaticaly.
Now, what I have done already is mix in the Mrs. wages pickling lime in my RO water that I use for topping off the tank. I have a method of dripping in my top off water, but it requires constant watching and refilling the tall cup i use.
My main question is... Should I stick with just the top off water to dose the calcium or should I mix it in with the water change water too? I'm wondering if mixing the calcium wtih the water change water will mess anything up considering i would be adding the new water rather quickly compared to dripping in the RO water.
Any help clearing this up for me would be greatly appreciated.

calbert0

I would recommend using walt smith fiji gold coral and live rock food. Since you have such a small tank this is an affordable and natural way of supplying calcium to your tank.
I would also recommend mixing your calcium with saltwater, not fresh.
The best thing with the walt smith is you never have to worry about overdosing because it is impossible to do with that product.
but as to your main question. Your salt mix should have natural levels of calcium in it. Do a water change and then check Calcium levels 24 hours after. but do not mix buffer or supplements into the new saltwater that you just mixed up because it should already be set. just check salinity

J

jetskiking

Regular two part additive worked well for me when I did nano's.