Calcium level

cranium

I'm having a problem raising my calcium level. I have been constantly dripping kalk into my 30g but i can't raise it up any higher than the 250ppm range. I have been dripping kalk non stop but can't get it any higher than 250. I mix two teaspoons of kent kalk mix with 1g of water and let it sit for a day then i drip it which usually takes like a day to empty then i fill the gallon jug half way shake it up really good and drip that and i have been repeating this process and i can't raise it over 250. It just isn't working and i don't know what to do! i can't use a reactor because i don't have a sump or the $$$$. i was thinking about using kent turbo calcium but i don't really understand how to use it. the instructions aren't too clear. does anyone know how to use this stuff or have any other suggestions on how to raise it?!?!?!?!?!?!?:mad: :mad: :mad: :confused: :confused: :confused:

T

thomas712

30 gal tank? If I recall right (bottle is downstairs) its 1/8th tsp per 50 gal on the kent turbo cal. I use an old pop bottle and air valve, but if you have a way to drip it mix with say 1/2 gal of water and drip it that way.
I would like to know what your Alk and Magnisium are at. If you can't test it take it to the LFS.
I also can not speak from experience on the Kalk as I have never used it.
Thomas

birdy

I have never had luck raising Ca with kalk, only maintaining. I drip Turbo Calcium when I need to raise it, the instructions on my jar are pretty clear it tells you how much per gallon of water to add then you just drip it in very slowly over night.

cranium

So i put the granules in and mixk it with a gallon of water but do i let it sit for several hours like kalk??????
This is what it says on the diretions
Directions: Start off using 1/8 teaspoon of granules per day on a 50 gallon, lightly loaded reef tank or 1/4 teaspoon of granules on a heavily loaded one. Since animals use calcium, and gallons do not, regular testing of calcium level by a good calcium test kit (Hach (TM) is recommended) is absolutely necessary with use of TURBO CALCIUM. Adjust amount of addition of the product to achieve a calcium level of about 400 mg/l. A higher level may result in rapid calcium compound precipitation and deposits which can possibly be destructive to pumps and other sensitive system equipment. It is recommended that you regularly check impellers and other delicate equipment for calcium deposits if you run higher (above 400 mg/l) system calcium levels! For best results adjust system KH to 8 to 10 dKH with Superbuffer-dKH or Marine Aquarium pH•Buffer.
It never says how to mix it or how much water too drip with it or nothing. it says to put in sump but i don't have one so i should just go W/ the drip?

tangtang

Congrats Carla!
Twins! That's awesome! That must sure round out a family!
BTW... Does your stand have drawers? <smile> I've heard that that is what they used in the old days! Sorry, I'm so bad. LOL <smile>
Linda

broomer5

If I understand you're original post correctly - it sounds like you're dosing the kalk sediment after you dose the kalkwasser.
If you are adding more water to the white stuff that forms in the bottom of the gallon jug after the first mixing - and swishing this stuff around - then dosing it TOO - this may very well be your problem.
The white stuff that forms in the bottom of the jug should NOT be added to your saltwater tank.
This stuff is calcium carbonate. It precipitated out of solution on the first mixing of kalk/water and should be DISCARDED !
Not added to the tank.
I would suggest several water changes first.
Get your levels right.
This should raise your calcium up to around 375 ppm and bring your alkalinity down some as well.
After a few water changes - and your levels look better - then you can start adjusting/raising calcium with some calcium chloride.
I would not start with Turbo Calcium though. This stuff is an anhydrous form of calcium chloride - and is very strong stuff.
I'd suggest getting some Kent Liquid Calcium or Seachem's Reef Advantage - and starting out with this.
I believe your current saltwater in the 30 gallon tank is out of balance chemically. You tankwater's magnesium could be severly depleted.
Water changes first to get things back into balance - then start a program of additives.

nicenakago

What kind of salt are you using for water changes?
I forgot where I read it, but if you are using a cheap brand of salt mix, It is possible that they are cutting corners on... magneseum (I think - at any rate... something that allows the water to hold on to calcium).
Sorry I don't remember the details. I just remember that I did some research on it and found that Kents Sea Salt would work for me, and have been using it ever since. Maybe someone else can fill in the gaps that i wrote - or confirm my guesses?