Calcium levels won't rise

I've been having issues with my calcium ever since I restarted my reef. I have been consistently at around 340-360 calcium. I'm using the API test kit and I've had it for about a year now, and i'm pretty sure it's dependable. I've been adding the recommended dose of Kent, Turbo Calcium.
The total volume of my setup is about 100 gallons with sump, refugium and closed loop.
For about 1 week now, even while adding the calcium everyday, my levels have stayed the same.
What do i need to do to get it up in the 400's.
Should i try a different brand test? different calcium?
my Alk is 10
Magnesium 1395

bang guy

Is your ALK 10dKH or 10Meq/L?
What happens if you double the recommended dosage? "recommended" is a misleading, it should be consided a "Starting" dosage. Each reef will consume ALK and Calcium at a different rate.
A high PH will also make it difficult to maintain calcium levels.

jackri

The "recommended" dose is not the actual amount you're using. Google Reef calcium calculator or I believe reef central has them too. Basically you test... don't add for 2 days, test again... and put those into the calculator and tells you how much to dose. Doing that I found it very uneconomical to dose 2 part as the "recommended was like 15mL and actual usage was around 120mL daily.
I dose lime water via Mrs. Wage's pickling lime in my topoff water and I always stay about 400 calcium.

i'm not quite sure. i'm using the API test kit. It says that however many drops of solution you use is the level associated with the ALk level.

imdaring

Originally Posted by kevinbeatzeus
http:///forum/post/3105875
I've been having issues with my calcium ever since I restarted my reef. I have been consistently at around 340-360 calcium. I'm using the API test kit and I've had it for about a year now, and i'm pretty sure it's dependable. I've been adding the recommended dose of Kent, Turbo Calcium.
The total volume of my setup is about 100 gallons with sump, refugium and closed loop.
For about 1 week now, even while adding the calcium everyday, my levels have stayed the same.
What do i need to do to get it up in the 400's.
Should i try a different brand test? different calcium?
my Alk is 10
Magnesium 1395
WHAT KIND OF SALT MIX DO YOU USE DIF. BRANDS OF SALT HAVE DIF. SG LEVELS HERE IS A GUIDE
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1287118

scsinet

What type of livestock is in your tank? Your stated calcium levels may not be a major issue depending on what types of coral you have.
Long story short though as others have said, if you can't raise your calcium, look towards mitigating factors such as pH and alkalinity. Calcium will just precipitate out of the water if those other levels are out of whack.
You may also consider dripping kalkwasser. You must go through a lot of two-part solution with a tank that size. It'll build your alkalinity at the same time.
Welcome to the boards, imdarling. Beware that posting of links to other forums is not allowed. When the mods see your post they'll remove it, so you might want to edit it first.