Calcium Supplement Alternatives

nas19320

Is there an alternative supplement I can buy for Calcium? I can use baking soda to raise my alk, correct? Whats the general guideline when using this? I have done a search and can't seem to find the answer and I am close to running out of B-Ionic and need replacement. Thanks.

neowind

Well there is a few things you can use.
1. Dow Flake from Home Depot.
2. (Best Way) Drop the baking soda and get some Pickling Lime at the grocery store for 2 dollars. IT will keep Alk and Calc and perfect levels. You have to drip it though.

nas19320

I should have said I need supplements to raise Cal/Alk. I have been dripping Kalk and that has worked great but recently I slacked off a little and my Alk/Cal levels dropped and I need to raise them up. I'm gonna give a 2-part recipe by Randy Holmes-Farely a try, but didn't know where I would find the Dow Flake. Thanks.

neowind

No problem sometimes hard to find in the summer time since its used to melt ice. So if you want some better get it fast :)

nas19320

Thanks, that was going to be my next question, what is it used for. So it's used to melt ice? What should I be looking for,50 lbs bags or small boxes?

nas19320

I've been raising my Alk really slow to avoid any problems but my pH is spiking more than I would like at the end of the photoperiod so maybe the baking soda will help avoid that.