Calcium

wyatterp

I need some help, I am having one heck of a time getting my calcium levels up above 350ppm! I am using Kent's tech CB, the two part calcium buffer, wich was refered to as "good stuff" by my LFS. Does anyone have any advice on this? Is it ok or will it make a difference to double or even tripple the dose until the levels get in line?

reefnut

What is your alkalinity level??
I agree with the magnesium. If your alkalinity level is in line then I would check to see what the magnesium level is.
The two part system is the best way to go IMO... so that your doing right. Water changes will also help.

T

thomas712

Yep the three go hand in hand.
Agreed, you need to check the alkalinity level and the magnesium as well. Your mag level should be about 1350ppm. Mag helps to maintian the levels of alk and cal at the supersaturated levels that we like to keep them at. Keeps them from doing that yo-yo thing.
Thomas

wyatterp

Well i dont have a mag test kit i will get one soon! and my alk levels are high and i cant seen to get them down, i would love some advice on that as well. It was fine until i had to go off for training for about a month and left my wife to take care of the tank! "I swear I can handle it" she said! I came back to a tank that was gross to say the least!

reefnut

The alkalinity being high would be a cause of the calcium being low. The two need to be kept balanced... but you will need a alkalinity test kit that gives you real numbers.
Alk meq/L___Alk dKH________Calcium ppm
0___________0_______________360
0.5_________1.4______________370
1___________2.8______________380
1.5_________4.2______________390
2___________5.6______________400
2.5_________7_______________ 410
3___________8.4______________420
3.5_________9.8______________430
4___________11.2_____________440
4.5_________12.6_____________450
5___________14______________ 460
5.5_________15.4_____________470
6___________16.8_____________480
6.5_________18.2_____________490
7___________19.6_____________500

wyatterp

thanks for the help, i will have to get another alk test kit, what's the best way to get alk back down? Water change?

reefnut

Water changes is the safest...
The Salifert alkalinity, calcium and magnesium test kits are one of the best... they sell them here for the best price I've found yet.