Calcium

jzensky

Hi, I am in the process of purchasing some corals for my tank and i have a few questions. I have done a ton of reading and it seems that i am sort of on track. I have on hold a green star polup. from what I have read this seems to be very easy to maintain. My major question is about calcium,I bought some calcium from my local pet shop and i am very confused about the proper way of adding it. Every other set of directions for additives has been very simple. How do i add the calcium, directly to the tank, with fresh water, with the salt water? AGH, the directions are very vague as to how much to add and how. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

wolfman

Originally posted by jzensky:
Hi, I am in the process of purchasing some corals for my tank and i have a few questions. I have done a ton of reading and it seems that i am sort of on track. I have on hold a green star polup. from what I have read this seems to be very easy to maintain. My major question is about calcium,I bought some calcium from my local pet shop and i am very confused about the proper way of adding it. Every other set of directions for additives has been very simple. How do i add the calcium, directly to the tank, with fresh water, with the salt water? AGH, the directions are very vague as to how much to add and how. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Calcium isn't the easiest part of saltwater tanks I can assure you. It depends on what method you have chosen to add. To me it sounds like you might have something similar to what I do, a powder mix. I use Kent Marine Kalwasser mix. If you are required to add with water, then just add about a tablespoon per gallon of filtered (reverse osmosis) water, with or without salt. I usually use just the fresh filtered water in an old milk jug. Then, let it sit overnight and strain about half a gallon through a rag to avoid getting the solid calcium in the tank. Add the other half of the gallon a couple days later, but never mix more than you can use in about four days.
There are other ways to add calcium. You can just buy they liquid supplements such as Reef complete. The biggest trick is knowing how much to add, and for that I strongly recommend picking up a calcium test kit. The kit will explain the level your calcium should be at. Good luck!
p.s. Yes, a green star polup is a good first choice.

ladd

I have a 75 gallon tank with a leather flower, and twenty or so(very small) mushroom corals. I am ordering the "Keep it clean package" which contains 60 snails, hermits, shrimp etc.. I have been using liquid calcium and directed. The instructions say to add "X" amount per 50 gallons, more depending on your tank load. What is an average tank load? Should I start adding more? My leather flower seems to be very happy. I have had it about 6 weeks and it is growing!

iluvtangs

not sure how beneficial calcium is to soft corals. definately add strontium and iodine. calcium levels for soft corals can probably be maintained by the water changes.

eric

calcium is nessary to build the skelaton structures of coarls it also helps to build a strong coraline alge in your environment.I personaly use Kent Kalkwasser mix by mixing 2 teaspoons in a 1 gal. jug let it settel aprox 4 hrs or longer then useing a 1/4" tube sypone out of the middle of the jug to avoid the bottom settelment and the scum on top this is very caustic and will burn anything that it touches including your skin. I also recomend using a kent aqua dose drip system witch you can purchace for around $20.00 and drip slowly into your tank to avoid any p.h.changes it is very hard to overdose your tank with this prouduct and i have been told to use it to replace any evaparation however i only add about 2000ml a week

the rock

the rock says...
jzensky aren't you the one on the other board that was saying damsels were dying within a day of putting them in your tank? what on earth are you doing, lol