calcium

dleto1

I have a very high calcium level. I have not added and calcium in a few weeks and it does not seem to be coming down. I tested the water I add and it has a level of 80. Any suggestions or anyone know if it will come down. My ph is right on.

S

sshorem

If I understand you correctly, your CA level is a 80. That is very LOW. It should be up around 400. Please clarify what the CA level is at.

T

tattooedlife

If your top off water has a reading of 80, How high is your calcium in your tank? 400 to 450 is most people goal for calcium. Your calcium shouldn't be much higher than that, if it is you may need your calcium checked with a different test kit, to make sure the other one is reading correct. What type of corals do you have? How much Live Rock? I have a hell of a time keeping my calcium as high as 400-450, It gits absorbed pretty fast by a reef.

dleto1

My level is over 800, im not sure how it got that high. I have alot of live rock but it looks bad. My corals are all pulling away from the shell. NOT SURE WHAT TO DO.

T

tattooedlife

Do a high % water change. Change about 50% or even more and this should take care of it.

hermit

Someone tell me how it got to that level with percipitating out..? I have never seen someone sustain that level... I agree... BIG water change time.....

clayton

If all your fish and corals are looking O.K I would not do a large water change. Small water changes each week will help and add a calcium supplement to SLOWLY bring it back up. Also check your test kit. For the calcium to be this low it sounds like it previously precipitated out, but you would have noticed that!
I would try to avoid big water changes as it will stress your stock. Nothing is going to die quickly due to low calcium.

dleto1

Thanks for all the help, i'm not sure what i am going to try. the level is 800 high not low. I am sad to say that I have done few water changes. My local guy does not believe in them and felt that adding water as it evaporates was water change enough. I do not agree any longer. I think I need to start with low water change then go from there since my stock has not even seen a 5% water change. I hope my rock will come back it was very pretty for over two years. thanks all