Calling all coco worm owners!!!

crt81

I just went to go look at my tank and I noticed that the crown (the feathery part) has come off of one of the 2 heads of the worm! Is this normal? Will it regrow it?
This may seem like a stupid and unusual question, but should I leave the pink crown in the tank? Is it still living? When I touch it it currled in (is this like how when a lizzards tail falls or is torn off, it still moves?
Please help!!!!

grumpygils

Originally Posted by crt81
I just went to go look at my tank and I noticed that the crown (the feathery part) has come off of one of the 2 heads of the worm! Is this normal? Will it regrow it?
This may seem like a stupid and unusual question, but should I leave the pink crown in the tank? Is it still living? When I touch it it currled in (is this like how when a lizzards tail falls or is torn off, it still moves?
Please help!!!!

It will come back as long as he is fed well and happy. It has happebed to me several times and always come back.
Mc

grumpygils

Should I take out the crown OR is it still alive?
Leave it. It is still alive. It should take about 2 week to grow back
Mc

grumpygils

But it's just the crown (the pink part), the worm is not attached to it at all!!!
OHHHHHHHH? It is dead. I know a worm is not going to grow from it.
Mc

waiting

I agree with grumpygils, just keep it happy and fed and the crown'll grow back.
However, I'd suggest keeping an eye on the worm for a while, because sometimes when my featherdusters throw their crowns, they crawl out of their tubes and subsequetly are attacked by hermits. Just a warning.

crt81

So is the worm in the tube still? OR Is it someone in the tank?
If I look down in the tube I still can see the other head (there was 2) and it is still intac. So does that mean the worm is inside?
And if it had 2 heads does that mean it had 2 worms? Or Does the crown branch off of one worm?

waiting

If you look down the tube and see the head of the worm, it's still in there.
I'm pretty sure the crown branches off of one worm. I've never seen two worms in one tube.

crt81

Originally Posted by Waiting
If you look down the tube and see the head of the worm, it's still in there.
I'm pretty sure the crown branches off of one worm. I've never seen two worms in one tube.
So it's safe to say I can throw away the head that fell off!
I just mixed some new saltwater and I'll have to wait until tomorrow to do the water change b/c I just mixed it!
So the worm is alive and in the tube if the other head is deep down in its tube. Right?

janastasio

Not to cut in, but what did you pay for your coco worm? I went to a store recently with one of those and they were asking $99.00. Seemed very steep, but I wasnt sure if that was a commen price for the more unusual colored ones.

crt81

I paid $66 for mine and it's a very bright pinkish orange color. It had to heads but currently not any more!

crt81

Well I threw away the crown that fell off! The worm wasn't attached to the crown, it was just the crown. The other head (there was 2) is still intac and in the tube. I hope it regrows fast! How long does it take to regrow?
Also what specifically should I be feeding it?

waiting

The crown should regrow within 2 weeks or so.
As for what to feed it, I feed my dusters Kent Marine Micro-Vert and PhytoPlex. I put about 10-15 drops into the tank every other day or so. But I have a 54g so if your tank's smaller/bigger I'd adjust the dosage. Or you could spot feed it with a pipette or something.

janastasio

I knew $99.00 was too much! Hope to find one someday at a better price. They are very pretty. Good luck with yours.

grumpygils

Well I threw away the crown that fell off! The worm wasn't attached to the crown, it was just the crown. The other head (there was 2) is still intac and in the tube. I hope it regrows fast! How long does it take to regrow?

Also what specifically should I be feeding it?

Mine are all in reef tanks so they get cyclopeese, DTs, Oyster eggs and algea.
Mc