Calling All Pump ... mag7 microbubbles

mkzimms

So Ive been dealing with a ridiculous micro-bubble issue in my new tank. Not normal micro-bubbles but extremely small dust size bubbles, everywhere. It looks like a dusty room the water is almost cloudy. I tried everything to get rid of them... filter socks, re-cementing all the joints, lowering and increasing head pressure, nothing worked. Tonight I pulled the pump and opened it up to get a look at the guts. It turns out I may have a bad prop. Pictures are below.
Its a mag-7 about 3 months old, ive had the bubble issue ever since i first hooked it up. Im thinking i had a faulty impeller assembly all along. Are these imperfections enough to cause the pump to create micro-bubbles?

luckily danner manufacturing, the company that makes the mag pumps, is about a 6 minute drive from where i work. im going to head down there on thursday to see what they say and try swap out the impeller assembly.

coraljunky

A damaged impeller shouldn't cause micro bubbles. There is DEFINITELY air entering the plumbing at some point. Is the pump being used internally? Is the outlet of the plumbing feeding the tank near the surface of the water?

mkzimms

yes, but ive tried to position them millions of different ways during the trouble shooting process. The pump is submerged. My first guess was air entering venturi style through a pin hole somewhere. Every joint has been double cemented over its self and sealed with silicone. I am almost positive there isn't a hole somewhere.
Most of the reading I have done says that imperfections in the impeller can cause cavitation causing the bubbles.

mkzimms

nope. the only siphon break i have is when the water would fall below the returns. the only place air might be getting in is through the quick disconnects, but they are sealed so tight i can almost not get them off.
im using a glass holes overflow, and the returns are bulkheaded in about 2 inches below the water line and split to loc-line.

coraljunky

Just because they're tight, doesn't mean it's air tight. I'd also try testing the locline if some of it is exposed to the air.

mkzimms

Originally Posted by coraljunky
http:///forum/post/2704424
Is that a ball valve?
it might be...

i feel like these are things common to millions of tanks not having issues. are you recommending i run a straight flex line right from the pump to the tank? how would i control my flow?

coraljunky

There's nothing wrong with using a ball valve, just another element suspected to be an entry point for air.

mkzimms

alright... tomorrow im going to HD and im going to set this thing running straight up to the tank without any joints or valves. just a flex tube over the top into the tank and let that stew for a few days and see what happens.
i just cant believe my pumping could be that bad. there are 12 year olds doing this with no issues and its not my first time solvent welding pvc.

coraljunky

It might not be your fault. There is a seal in that ball valve
Post the outcome either way..... just for my curiosity.