calling all tang police

M

markeo99

1-2" PAC BLUE "HIPPO" TANG I want to get one of these. at the moment I have a 55 gal tank and a 125 freshwater that I am going to switch over when the fish eventually die or I can get rid of em cant kill em. anyways how long would I have before a fish that small outgrows a 55 gal tank would I have a year or 2

spiderwoman

Please don't post tang police threads, that will just get a thread going that is not beneficial to anybody. I don't believe your thread will get far before it gets closed. This has been mentioned before! Not very smart.

M

markeo99

I guess I dont know how to change it so I guess it will be what it may

M

markeo99

just so you know also the 125 thing is not a maybe thing I have sand my 55 and 55 gal fuge is full full of live rock for it got my skimmer sump mh lights so I am past the point of return

brittany_0824

Saw this and wanted to add my opinion...even the 125 will eventually be too small for the pacific blue or "hippo tang". Also if you HAVE to get one, try to get one in the 2 inch range. Nothing smaller than 2 inches is cool. And this fish will outgrow a 55 QUICK. Even though small, it will still need tons of swimming room.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
125 will barely do. You need to wait until you have a tank this size before getting a hippo. This fish must have swimming room, regardless of its size, otherwise you risk the fish's health.

M

markeo99

thank you very much for your help I never plan on going bigger than 125 SO I WILL NOT GET ONE the writer of finding nemo should have thought that one out everybody wants one

M

markeo99

and spiderwoman it looks like your post is the only one that helped me in no way whatsoever thanks

oneradtek

i know you want to get one, but what we want and what is right is a hard subject.
125 gallons is a good size tank for many tangs. and im sure itd be fine in there. but it wont be happy. I see so many people put tangs in smaller tanks, and if you want to do it, dont post about it. it will just make you mad to hear what people say.
but for my opinion. i think you should add another smaller tang that wont need as much room. theres soo many tangs out there that would be perfect for a 125 and much easier to care for. the hippo is prone to disease. I would say get a Kole tang or a purple tang. both beautiful, not so needy species thats pretty hardy.
hope this helped!

ophiura

Originally Posted by markeo99
http:///forum/post/2612675
and spiderwoman it looks like your post is the only one that helped me in no way whatsoever thanks
FWIW, it is because I just unstuck a thread I had posted in this forum for ages specifically about starting threads about the tang police. Of course as soon as I unstuck it...
You are to be applauded for not getting this fish, but most do not listed to the advice given by "the tang police."

ophiura

Originally Posted by Hammerhed7
http:///forum/post/2613799
anything smaller than the ocean is too small for a tang, yada yada yada
Yeah...I unstuck that thread too soon....so I put it back

This sort of post is just as problematic and unproductive as "no way no how never" tang police comments so I would ask you to refrain from them. Thanks.
As for the tang, I would say something like a yellow eye Kole tang, or close relative would be a nice addition to a 125. But I would generally suggest waiting until the 125 is up and running and established before getting one. Sometimes it is easier to say "yeah I will do that" and then time, or something, or the expense of running a 125 saltwater comes up and it doesn't happen.

srfisher17

http:///forum/post/2612673
thank you very much for your help I never plan on going bigger than 125 SO I WILL NOT GET ONE the writer of finding nemo should have thought that one out everybody wants one
Good move; listening to, and sorting out opinions on this forum will help you tremendously in this hobby. I remember when the Nemo movie came out, my local lfs was probably telling 20 people a day that you couldn't keep "Nemo" in a goldfish bowl. Sending dozens of parents next door to soothe their howling kids at Baskin-Robbins.

T

tizzo

http:///forum/post/2612675
Let's up our post count with a jab...

Anyway, these boards are topics, posted and answered. Not "chat" threads so to speak, so while spiderwoman's "advice" may not have helped YOU, it may have helped one of the other ten thousand people who will read it.
She's right though. Threads asking for the advice of the "tang police" usually result in arguments and irresponsible comments. Not usually from the OP, but rather the hobbiests trying to answer.
So as this may be yet another post that has helped you none what so ever, it is here, as the one above, for all the others reading.

M

markeo99

didnt know this post was gonna be so volitile I just knew the title would make it get read didnt need to get made feel like a dirt ball I really liked it here quit trying to make me go elsewhere and mods out there kill this thread before I start getting hate mail or something I got my information

T

tizzo

http:///forum/post/2614415
didnt know this post was gonna be so volitile I just knew the title would make it get read

Volatile? really? Ya think so? I thought I was being nice, considering your comment to Spidey.

And your right, the title would make it get read, I'll give you that. It was the below quote...
that, IMO was, for no reason at all, rude.

M

markeo99

I guess I had a long day and had a question I wasnt real happy when the very first post was someone there calling me stupid