camer q's for rye

rabid frog

Okay as to my email I sent ya the question was I have a 35mm EOS Rebel G. The lenses I have for it are, a 35-80mm with 0.4m/1.3ft with the little macro symbol by it, and a 80-200 mm 1.5m/4.9ft., also it has 1:4.5-5.6. Dont know what that means and some of the settings I have no idea what they do either, like the a-dep,m,av,tv,and p. All I know how to use is the one with the green box, lol. Hope this is no too much to explain.

ryebread

Okay........short rundown:
Green Box = Full Auto
P = Program mode (pretty much full auto except you choose when the flash comes up)
AV = Aperture Value - This is used to increase or decrease your depth-of-field. Small numbers mean less in focus, larger numbers mean more in focus.
TV = Time Value - This is your shutter speed mode. You choose the shutter speed and the camera will choose the Aperture for you. You will use this if you are looking to have a fast shutter for sports or action photos........or if you are looking to slow down the shutter speed for certain effects.
M = Manual - Full manual mode where you use your light meter in the viewfinder to determine the correct aperture and shutter speed.
Your lenses should be okay to play around with.........nothing special but, you should be able to get about a foot and a half away with the 35-80 lens. Tank shots can be tricky and I would try turning the flash off if you don't have an external one. Tri-pods are an excellent tool.
I know the explanations are vague........let me know what you need to know. :)

birdy

I don't want to steal this thread, but I have the same SLR camera. Can you take decent pics of an aquarium with a SLR. I have been waiting to get a digital. Any tips on taking pics with a SLR.

rabid frog

thanks for the help rye. I do have a tri-pod, Ill ttry using it. Should I mess with the shutter speed and all? Will this help take better tank photos?

ryebread

SLRs can certain take great tank pics. I use mostly SLR cameras for my tank shots and I am happy with them.
You can use the shutter speed settings if you want but, it will mostly be just to play around with. Most commonly used settings will be the program mode and Aperture mode.
Practice makes Broke.........I mean perfect. ;)