Can a Frag be Damaged by...

Being put in a really large bag for shipment with no form of padding, ie a couple extra bags in the water, causing it to roll and bounce around during shipment?
I ordered a 1" frag of Hydnophora from someone online and it was shipped in a huge bag of water. It arrived DOA with pieces of its flesh floating around in the bag. I can only assume that it rolled around in the bag but wasnt sure that would cause any trouble. He offered me a refund for the price of the coral, but if his bad packaging caused the damage i want what i paid for shipping/handling back too.
EDIT: This is an unmounted frag

reefkprz

if its un mounted sounds like a "cut for sale" really bad with SPS, they should be given time for recovery far in advance of shipping, even with zoas I give them at least a week before shipping them out. just my opinion.

reefer545

it also depends on how fragile of coral it is. If it is a particularly fragile one, then yeah, absolutely. It sounds like KPRZ is right on though. I had a bubble coral come with skeleton showing everywhere because it rolled around so much. I wont by LPS that are mainly fleshy online or at least to be shipped anymore. Some of the LPS that are more skeleton usually have much better survival rate during shipping.

jonthefishguy

That was poor packing by the shipper. When we ship out corals we float them upside down with styro, rubber banded, dubble bagged and with an ice pack. And if it is a fresh frag, we dont sell it for 1 to 2 months. By the way, we will be fragging out ORA blue green Tortuosa in the coming weeks and ready for sell in the coming months.....

reefkprz

Originally Posted by jonthefishguy
That was poor packing by the shipper. When we ship out corals we float them upside down with styro, rubber banded, dubble bagged and with an ice pack. And if it is a fresh frag, we dont sell it for 1 to 2 months. By the way, we will be fragging out ORA blue green Tortuosa in the coming weeks and ready for sell in the coming months.....
I use the same styrofoam method on my LPS or any frag that is attached to a rock large enough to damage the corals. little frags like zoas on a flake of rock I dont worry about.
I dont ship much in the way of SPS, but I defiantly agree that the tumble effect can be very detrimantal to lots of corals, especially SPS/LPS. its even worse if the packager leaves air in the bag, the air allows the water to slosh making for a heinous washing machine effect on the coral during transit.

Thats what i thought. Judging from where the flesh WAS left, it was freshly cut with a wet saw. It had very nice clean cuts.
There was air in the bag...this is disappointing.

teen

iv shipped fresh cut sps frags plenty of times, and ive received fresh cut sps frags plenty of times with no problems.

guinness

i had an entire rock of zoos die after shipping. it was a 15lb rock and i think it rolled over them a few times and that caused them to be damaged. if one was to ship frags via the themos method what is the best way to pack them?

teen

Originally Posted by guinness
i had an entire rock of zoos die after shipping. it was a 15lb rock and i think it rolled over them a few times and that caused them to be damaged. if one was to ship frags via the themos method what is the best way to pack them?
i put them in a plastic baggie, tie the top in a knot or rubberband, then put that in a zip lock, then put that in the thermos.