Can a six line wasse be aggressive??

allansam

I have a six line wasse and a Spotted Cardinalfish in a 75 gallon aquarium. Every time a get new fish there dead by the next day? Why?

reefkprz

six line wrasses are very territorial. and extremely agressive to newcomers into their turf. If a six line is to be added to a tank it should be one of the last fish introduced due to its very territorial nature. too many site claim they are peacefull and only a threat to other wrasses. IMO they are a danger to ANY newcomer larger or smaller. they are great fish (one of my favorites) their level of territoriality is up there with damsels IME.

kaingers

I have had a sixline kill a pepermint shrimp I added to the tank to try and control Aiptasia. They should not only be the last FISH you add to the tank, but one of the last inhabitant IMO. He got what he was asking for when my condy swllowed him up a few weeks later

alohami

I completely agree with what everyone else has said. I had one and tried two different times to add another fish, and he picked them to death almost immediately. Mine ended up jumping, and it really didn't hurt my feelings when I found him dried up on the floor. They are still one of my favorite looking fish, but if I ever try one again, it will be the very last addition to the tank.

oneradtek

i also agree....
put it in last, i did and have not had any problems yet....but yet he is a smaller fish than everything else other than my goby that hides
the new sixline wandered his way into my pistol shrimp cave when i first put him in and that taught him his place haha

ophiura

The answer is yes, they can be agressive.
But it quite possibly has absolutely nothing to do with the fish you are losing.
In order to answer that, we would need to know more about the type of fish and your aquarium. But I would be surprised that a sixline would immediately kill every new fish within 24 hours in a 75g tank. I suspect you may wish to check elsewhere before that answer. Often we 'prefer" to think fish are healthy and are being killed rather than consider something is wrong with the tank and they are dying :(

allansam

Thanks everyone for your input.I took the six line wrasse out of the 75 gallon and put him in my Refugium. Got two new blue green chromis and they are still alive today!! I'm still learning!

sepulatian

Originally Posted by ALLANSAM
http:///forum/post/2613297
Thanks everyone for your input.I took the six line wrasse out of the 75 gallon and put him in my Refugium. Got two new blue green chromis and they are still alive today!! I'm still learning!

That is wonderful that the chromis are alive. Have you checked your water quality? Don't take what Ophiura said lightly. She was spot on with that.

My six line is friendly to all in my tank, even have a corisse wrasse and they don't fight. I bought a fairly wrasse and it attacked it and killed it, bought another but quarantined it, and the sixline kept trying to get at it, so I returned the fairly.
Wierd how it is fine with all others, the sixline was the first fish, never bothered anyone until the fairly.
So answer to your question, yes they can be aggressive.

ophiura

They will definitely not tolerate another small wrasse, IMO. That is a recipe for trouble, even if they are OK with other fish.

hlcroghan

Can a wrasse be introduced to a nonaggressive tank? i am asking more like would you be able to have one with clowns and a mandarin? once the tank is well established and healthy? i would like to have a couple different ones because they are amazing looking.

chub

My sixline chased 2 Royal Grammas to death. I DONT know why we put another RG in there last week. havent seen it in 2 days. Going to try to catch the Sixline and put in the QT for a while or find a fish that chases the sixline.

thirdgenfan

I have a sixline in a 29 gal. with a ocellaris clown and a rusty angel for well over a year. Model citizen.He was added last though.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by ThirdGenFan
http:///forum/post/2626599
I have a sixline in a 29 gal. with a ocellaris clown and a rusty angel for well over a year. Model citizen.He was added last though.
How long has he been there? They are fine in larger systems, just get over aggressive in smaller ones.

kellenr

Mine is kinda the same way. Doesn't kill fish though, but definately one of the first to 'check out' new additions. He kinda cruises around like he owns the place. He even kinda steps up to my Blue Tang. He displays a very unique routine when he's pissed... He flairs up his dorsal fins and coils his body into a U-shape and snaps his tail in the reverse direction. I catch him doing it alot right next to the side glass. I think he sees his reflection and thinks it's another one.