Can a soft coral host itch?

sac10918

Question
I know that the itch needs to have a fish host to survive, but that things that enter the tank need to be QTd for 6 weeks to prevent itch entering the tank, but I am wondering if a small mushroom (with no rock or porous substrate) could introduce anything into the tank or not. Thanks

sepulatian

Originally Posted by sac10918
http:///forum/post/3084725
Question
I know that the itch needs to have a fish host to survive, but that things that enter the tank need to be QTd for 6 weeks to prevent itch entering the tank, but I am wondering if a small mushroom (with no rock or porous substrate) could introduce anything into the tank or not. Thanks
There is the very slightest chance that a parasite happened to have just fallen off of a fish and landed on the mushroom moments before the mushroom was taken out of the tank, but not really. If the mushroom was in a tank without fish then you should be fine. Ich comes in on hard surfaces because it attaches to them after falling off of a fish to begin reproduction. If there is no hard surface, and there were no fish in the tank, then the chances of introducing ich are very slim.

sac10918

Thanks Sepulation
The mushroom has no hard substrate, but was purchased from an LFS and there were fish in the tank with it. It is currently in QT along with some other corals, but I dont have a great QT set up and things aren't looking so hot...so I was thinking about putting the mushroom in the DT. My biggest #1 concern is the health of my fish in the DT, so I dont want to do anything that will risk their health.
Whats the rule for QTing corals? If I remember correctly its 6 weeks, but I am not sure if my corals are going to make it in my crummy set up.

flower

I have heard of dipping a coral but never QT a coral. Go ahead and put the in the tank, just make sure no bad hitchers

al mc

Being paranoid I do QT all corals and dip them before they go into the coral QT tank.....overkill, but...I'm paranoid