Can anyone explain the different kinds of lights?

scirdan

I have a 30G tank thats been set up for about 6 months. I have a standard cover with a single fluorescent bulb (50/50). I am interested in adding some better lights, and perhaps keeping something that is phtotosynthetic (easy corals, etc.), but I am overwhelmed by all of the different kinds, wattages, sizes, brands etc...
First of all, what is recommended for a tank like mine? a new fluorescent light fixture with a glass cover? new bulb? I think its 15W bulb right now. What about the powercompact fluorescent? I have seen "retrofit kits", what are they for? can I do anything with the light and cover I have now other than a 50/50 bulb? what about metal halides? They seem to be most expensive. My tank isn't hugh so I dont have a lot of room (for lots of different kinds of light).
Any information about this would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I'll do as best I can, but for some great info, do some searching in the equipment forum.
Ok . . . . .
NO, or Normal Output flourescent, which is what you have now . . . is a weak flourescent bulb. IMO, they serve no other purpose than providing viewing light for an aquarium. They really do not have much purpose as a stand alone lighting for a reef tank.
HO and VHO are High Output, and Very High Output. These are basically NO flourescent bulbs on speed. They put out far more wattage than the standard NO bulbs. These are good for pretty much all soft corals and a couple of the LPS corals.
PC/CF . . . Power Compacts or compact flourescents . . . very similar to the VHO and HO, but they are shaped differently and put out a little more lighting. However they have some major drawbacks as well IMO. They break easily, are expensive, and have poor coloration compared to other available sources.
MH . . . Metal Halides are the best lighting currently available for a reef tank. They come in a variety of color temperatures, wattages, and will allow you to keep anything that is photosynthetic.
A retrofit kit is basically the guts of the ligting system. It is a ballast, wires, and sockets that you put together and mount yourself into an existing canopy. A complete hood you basically plug it in an set it on the tank.
If you are crafty, then I would build a custom hood, and then buy a retro. They are cheaper and can be custom made.
For a 30 gallon, I would try and go with some VHO lighting. That would be your best bet IMO.

drakken

Look into the Coralife Aqualight in the 130 watt double fixture. They can be found for $130 and is an easy plug-n-play set up with built in fans.
Also check out medal-halide pendant fixtures. A 175 watt fixture is about $200 and you can keep just about anything with that much light.

scirdan

Thanks for the info, I was looking around, and I saw a light with this description:
This unique lighting system uses the powerful illumination of PowerCompact lamps by day and the beautiful 'moon-glow' of the ultra-efficient, LED Moon Lite by night. Comes complete with 10000ºK Premium-Daylight, Ultra Actinic and independently operating Moon Lites for dawn to dusk lighting. Constructed of sleek black aluminum housing with an ultra-quiet, ball bearing fan to ensure lamps operate cool and efficient. Includes Light Stilts to elevate above aquarium, acrylic splash lens, independent ballasts for PowerCompacts, and three independent 5 ft. power cords for lighting units.
This is 2 65W PC lamps, and "moon light" (130W total, thatwould be alright for some photosynthetic creatures in my 30G, right?) . Are these bulbs decent for my setup? This is 24" wide (so is my tank), and that means I need to also buy a glass cover for my tank, right? I also looked that the coralife aqualite, and it is similar, but no "moon light". The price is similar. How long do the bulbs last? I can buy "better bulbs" later right?
Do the brands mean a lot when it comes to setups like this? is coralife a good name or is the "unnamed" one going to be just as good??
Thanks...

aarone

who makes that? Custom Sea Life? if so they went bankrupt and are no longer operating i beleive....I have the same fixture...its good. If you can still get it i would go that way....but i dont know if a 30 is 24" long.

drakken

It's a Custom Sealife Moonlite. Very nice light. I have one on my 55 and LOVE it. CSL did go out of business but another company is taking over. I highly recommend this light.

drakken

Originally posted by aarone
who makes that? Custom Sea Life? if so they went bankrupt and are no longer operating i beleive....I have the same fixture...its good. If you can still get it i would go that way....but i dont know if a 30 is 24" long.

They have a 30" with the Moonlites.

j.unit

I think I'm correct by stating that your 30g tank is 30" x 12". The base dimensions for your tank should be the same as my 20g Long.
DO NOT get that stupid looking "Aqua-gay-light" by Coralife, whatever you do. It looks like a goddamn twinkie sitting on top of your friggin aquarium.
I currently use the 30" 2x65w PC fixture by CustomSeaLife. I am thoroughly satisfied with this choice in light. The

[hr]
has a huge fan, and dag-nabbit, it has pre-installed moonlights, pre-friggin-installed moonlights. Damn tank looks friggin awsome with them. Go somewhere and buy this lighting system, dammit, before stock runs out. And yes, each light is controlled independantly. And yes, it is constructed out of durable, black powder-friggin-coated aluminum. Smells nice outta the friggin box too. GO GET IT! Got mine for $200.

drakken

Originally posted by J.Unit
I think I'm correct by stating that your 30g tank is 30" x 12". The base dimensions for your tank should be the same as my 20g Long.
DO NOT get that stupid looking "Aqua-gay-light" by Coralife, whatever you do. It looks like a goddamn twinkie sitting on top of your friggin aquarium.
I currently use the 30" 2x65w PC fixture by CustomSeaLife. I am thoroughly satisfied with this choice in light. The

[hr]
has a huge fan, and dag-nabbit, it has pre-installed moonlights, pre-friggin-installed moonlights. Damn tank looks friggin awsome with them. Go somewhere and buy this lighting system, dammit, before stock runs out. And yes, each light is controlled independantly. And yes, it is constructed out of durable, black powder-friggin-coated aluminum. Smells nice outta the friggin box too. GO GET IT! Got mine for $200.

You go DAWG!
Word.

elpezgrande

The standard dimension terminology makes this a bit confusing, but I haven't seen too may square tanks, so I think the 24 inches high was referring to the bottom of the tank to the top, not the 12 inches deep. If so, you have a tall 30G tank which complicates your lighting situation. If you go with PC lighting, and possibly even VHO, you may not get the light penetration you need to keep photosynthetic creatures at the bottom of your tank. Hopefully someone with more lighting expertise will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think unless you go for the higher intensity MH lighting, low light corals are all you could keep.

jo moorish

I would also recomend the custom sea life fixture it is a very nice set up but be aware of the price of the replacement bulbs

aarone

Originally posted by jo moorish
I would also recomend the custom sea life fixture it is a very nice set up but be aware of the price of the replacement bulbs

i dont know where you buy your bulbs....but regular PC bulbs can go in it also....I upgraded my cSL fixture to have an actinic 03 and it was only 17.99 for a 65w