Can anyone identify this photo of algae

shyfish

Its Bubble, marble algea. I have been wanting this type in my tank like forever!! I have heard it can get out of hand so you have to trim it back, but it is beautiful.
Far as I always heard its good and desired. Check your skimmer if your corals look bad.

morval

ive never heard of bubble marble algae. its not bubble algae either. looks more like dinoflagellets or cyano bacteria.
how long has tank been set up?
what are your water test results?
how much and how often do you feed?
what is in your tank (fish and coral)?
what kind of lights do you have? how long are they on?

shyfish

Are the bubbles hard like plastic? If they are than its bubble or AKA marble algea.
If not than it is something else.

shyfish

Hi again,
I sent the pictures to a guy who has been doing saltwater for 20 years. I am waiting on the edge of my seat to see what he says about this stuff.
dinoflagellets makes the water green and I think I saw a pic where you have a bucket with lots of green in it that you cleaned out of your tank on another thread.

renogaw

well, right thread, but wrong person. i had dinoflaggilates, which i already told him its what he has in the other thread.

scopus tang

Originally Posted by Shyfish
http:///forum/post/2924138
Its Bubble, marble algea. I have been wanting this type in my tank like forever!! I have heard it can get out of hand so you have to trim it back, but it is beautiful.
Far as I always heard its good and desired. Check your skimmer if your corals look bad.
I've never heard of Bubble marble algae either - if you're talking about bubble algae, I've got tons and you can have it - just pay the shipping
And I also IDed this in the third thread; Just and FYI to the OP, JMO, but multiple threads on a single topic can be confusing.

baldguy

Question?? Not trying to step on toes... but I was told that bubble algae like in the pics above were bad? That if the bulb heads popped that it would only spread more in your tank. Can any one fill in a rook like me? Thanks all.

revrick3

There is a reason I posted in several topics. Did not get any feedback to start with so went to other headings. I also have had 3 different diagnosis on this so not sure at this time what it is, or how to treat it. But it is taking over my tank and coral is terrible looking. That is reason for urgency and several posting, I dont think I have a week to wait on this and have coral left. Sorry if any confusion came of it. At this point one has diagnosed it as dinoflaggilates, one red slime algae, one cyano algae, one bubble algae. Thats 4 different ideas from same picture. Checked water and all levels are great, Do not have phosphate test at this time. Tank is 5 months old, 90g. with 120 live rock and 100 LS.

scopus tang

Originally Posted by revrick3
http:///forum/post/2924367
There is a reason I posted in several topics. Did not get any feedback to start with so went to other headings. I also have had 3 different diagnosis on this so not sure at this time what it is, or how to treat it. But it is taking over my tank and coral is terrible looking. That is reason for urgency and several posting, I dont think I have a week to wait on this and have coral left. Sorry if any confusion came of it. At this point one has diagnosed it as dinoflaggilates, one red slime algae, one cyano algae, one bubble algae. Thats 4 different ideas from same picture. Checked water and all levels are great, Do not have phosphate test at this time. Tank is 5 months old, 90g. with 120 live rock and 100 LS.
Understood - what you are dealing with is as was stated, cyanobacteria; also known as red slime algae or purple slime algae or just red slime. - it is actually a bacteria, therefore a eukaryotic cell, and is not considered to be a true algae. It grows over and covers stuff with a semi thick mat and will smother sessile invertebrates and LR. The matt can be blown off with powerheads or rubbed or picked off by hand. It occurs primarily as a result of low flow and high nutrients. If it has "exploded" as you stated, you need to look at the flow rate in your system, and try and determine where the extra nutrients are coming from - has something died? are you overfeeding? etc. Eliminate the source of nutrients, increase the flow rate, and it should disappear fairly rapidly. Generally, it only occurs in certain areas, and is simply a matter of redirecting powerheads into low flow or dead water zones in the tank. HTH

scopus tang

Originally Posted by baldguy
http:///forum/post/2924244
Question?? Not trying to step on toes... but I was told that bubble algae like in the pics above were bad? That if the bulb heads popped that it would only spread more in your tank. Can any one fill in a rook like me? Thanks all.

baldguy welcome to SWF.com. What is pictured above is not bubble algae, these bubbles are being created by CO2 gas being released by the bacteria. Bubble algae is hard and green and should be picked out a tank as soon as it appears as it can become invasive very quickly. When the "bubbles" pop, they release spores into the water, spreading the algae throughout the tank or system. If you do a search in the plants and macroalgae forum, there should be a thread on bubble algae with pictures. HTH

shyfish

Hi,
My book says its good stuff and desired. I have also heard from others by experiance that say it is like a plague.
Me personaly, I think bubble algea is pretty. Some people won't have an anemone, some love them. Everyone has personal tastes. It shouldn't make corals look bad. I doubt its bubble algea if it is making corals look bad.
Scopus Tang says I can have it just pay shipping. So no mention of hurting corals. My friend had it all over his tank and his corals were beautiful.
So if it is hurting the corals its something else. He hasn't e-mailed me back so I am going to call him by phone and try and get some insight.
Talk at ya later

scopus tang

Originally Posted by Shyfish
http:///forum/post/2924409
Hi,
My book says its good stuff and desired. I have also heard from others by experiance that say it is like a plague.
Me personaly, I think bubble algea is pretty. Some people won't have an anemone, some love them. Everyone has personal tastes. It shouldn't make corals look bad. I doubt its bubble algea if it is making corals look bad.
Scopus Tang says I can have it just pay shipping. So no mention of hurting corals. My friend had it all over his tank and his corals were beautiful.
So if it is hurting the corals its something else. He hasn't e-mailed me back so I am going to call him by phone and try and get some insight.
Talk at ya later
Shyfish, as you stated, everyone has their own tastes, and to each their own
. I would be curious to know what book you are referencing that states that bubble algae is highly desirable, because all the books in my library describe it as a plague, and like any algae it can become invasive enough in a tank to smother corals (speaking from experience here). Perhaps you are confusing bubble algae with grape caleupera which is sometimes included in tanks by hobbiests?

renogaw

1) Cyano does not hold bubles in it
2) cyano and redslime are the same thing
3) bubble algae is different from this stuff. it's a green or red bubble itself that forms with a base on the rock.
it's dino

scopus tang

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/2924433
1) Cyano does not hold bubles in it
2) cyano and redslime are the same thing
3) bubble algae is different from this stuff. it's a green or red bubble itself that forms with a base on the rock.
it's dino
Hey Ren, not trying to argue with you, but just curious. Everything I know/have read about dinoflagellates indicates they should be free-swimming in the water rather than settling on the rocks? Regardless, both dinoflagellates and cyan are single-celled organisms. cyan (at least this form) is a colonial matt-forming algae while dinoflagellates are non-colonial, independent organisms - how/why would dinoflagellates hold CO2 or Oygen either one? Again, not trying to start an argument with you, just trying to fit what you are stating with what I know about the various algaes. Thanks, Scopus

shyfish

I talked to my guy. Bubble or marble algea as some call it is harmless but grows too fast. It won't kill coral.
So what you have isn't that. Here is his suggestion
He said to pull out all of it you can. Add more water flow and use a skimmer and UV light to stop the green water. The UV will kill bacteria in the water. Water change isn't going to help much. Using something called "chemclean" won't hurt and might help. Its for cyano and this might be a strain of it.
Don't feed the tank. If you can put your corals in a safe place.. like a quarantine tank, turn off the lights. Fish won't mind the dark but coral needs light to live. If you can't turn off your lights the UV is your best option.
Scopus Tang
good call.
The UV lights costs around $130.00
Good Luck, I hope you get things fixed up.

shyfish

You are absolutly right. Caleupera is what I was calling bubble algea. What is the differance? So I will know what to look for.

renogaw

there are different versions of caleurpa, grape is one of them. it IS a macro algae, jst bubble algae is a bad thing due to how it spreads. don't get me wrong, caleurpa will spread fast as well, and it's outlawed in california.
as for dino, there's tons of different types, yahoo search problem dinoflagellates and look for the article by randy holmes farley. (cannot post a link to it for you, you'll understand).
this is exactly what he's having issues with.
just gotta raise his ph and it will go away.

revrick3

Alright enough of the bickering, I am going with the suggestion of cyano. Thanks from all of you. Scopus Tang, thanks for info. Not trying to start any confusion. I have had fresh water tanks for 25 years but this is first salt attempt so a lot to learn. I do have enough insight to know I am losing ground here quickly so it was urgent to get answers. At this point I have cut out all lighting, replaced all filter media and added charcoal. Stopped all food. Only thing that might have died is a purple lobster I added but he was only about 2 inches long, havent seen him in week. I have what should be plenty of flow. 1-Korelia 1 powerhead at 400gph; 1-Korelia 3 powerhead at 850gph. Sump pump is at 400gph; Have an AquaC remora skimmer at 275gph. In a 90 that should be enough I thought. I have redirected them to flow directly on the lr. Let me know if there is anything else I need to do. Thanks fro all help too. You guys are great even if there are differing ideas at times.