Can brook/velvet/etc signs come and go daily?

f14peter

Here's the rundown (And with apologies, a long post):
Clown's been in the QT for close to two weeks now. Yesterday morning as I was feeding him before I headed off to work, it sure looked like some white was forming along his back. Nothing really distinct, but looked like a very light and faint dusting (Brook or velvet, right?). Knowing how quickly these problems can manifest themselves and not having any time, I planned on checking first thing when I got home, and if it looked like the little guy was savable, going out and getting some treatment. He did seem a bit lethargic and not too hungry, but it was right when I turned on the lights and he typically isn't too active that early in the morn.
When I got home yesterday afternoon, he looked at the very least no worse, and quite possibly even better. He was definately more active, and hungry as all get-out. Only under close scrutiny was I able to see anything out of the ordinary, and again it was actually difficult to really determine what, if anything, was on him. It sort of looked like dust, but incredibly faint.
Maybe not the best idea, but I let the situation go last night, if for no other reason than I didn't really know what I was confronted with and I understand brook and velvet require different treatments. Sure enough when I checked him this morning, it looked like it returned . . . same thing, a barely noticable trace of what could be white dust and again with his typical slow morning behavior.
Tank conditions seem fine, 0 ammonia/nitrites with about 10ppm nitrates and the regularly scheduled water change coming up tonight.
Not knowing exactly what I'm dealing with, should I treat for both brook and velvet? If so, any particular order of treatments.

f14peter

Originally Posted by Beth
Can you post a picture?
I should be able to get something up in a couple of hours when I get home.
Thanks

f14peter

Here's a couple of pics, not very good but the best I had of about 15 shots.
Frankly, he looks worse in the pictures than he does in real life, especially the first picture it looks like he has some white going up his dorsal fin but eyeballing it looks fine.
I looked at him real close and really couldn't see any convincing indication of a problem. Even looking closely at the clearer parts of the ends of his fins, sure looks pretty normal . . . just like yesterday, this afternoon he was looking quite good and just as vigorous and active as before.

I'll keep trying to get some better pics.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
He looks rather pale-ish, with a pale dorsel. What are you feeding him, and how often? What are your water readings?

f14peter

Originally Posted by Beth
He looks rather pale-ish, with a pale dorsel. What are you feeding him, and how often? What are your water readings?
Feed-wise, he his diet consists of either frozen Formula 1, frozen mysis shrimp, Spectrum Thera+A pellets, and once in a while Spectrum Optimum flake, all of which he usually goes after with vigor, administered twice a day. So far, I have not supplemented his diet with any vitamins, garlic, or things of that nature.
Water as of last testing three days ago was 0 ammonia & nitrites, with nitrate at 10ppm, I haven't done a PH test since last week, it was 8.0/8.2 then, water temp is 77-78F. Tonight I did an 8 gallon water change in his 20g tank, normally I do 4 gallons every 3-4 days but did an 8g this time due to the circumstances.
I'm not sure the pictures truly represent his color, he does seem a bit more vivid in real life (Pics were taken with a flash). True, his dorsal has no black along its edge, however, all other fins do. Should the orange color extend to the tips of his fin?
The only other thing that may be out of the ordinary is that because I currently have no water circulation in the QT other than the whisper 20 HOB filter, I'll run an airstone to help with aeration and stirring the water a couple of hours every other or third day. The stone is in a corner and about halfway down the side of the tank.
Again, many thanks

sepulatian

An airstone will not be enough, can you pick up a small powerhead? As far as the white dusting, brook dosn't usually go away once it starts. Ich and velvet can (ich is more likely to). Take a close look with a magnifying glass. While some spots will go away making it less noticable you will still see some spots if it is either of those things. It could also be particles suspended in the water that have "landed" on him due to the lack of circulation. Why is he in the qt? Is he new or did you notice something in the display?

f14peter

Originally Posted by sepulatian
An airstone will not be enough, can you pick up a small powerhead? As far as the white dusting, brook dosn't usually go away once it starts. Ich and velvet can (ich is more likely to). Take a close look with a magnifying glass. While some spots will go away making it less noticable you will still see some spots if it is either of those things. It could also be particles suspended in the water that have "landed" on him due to the lack of circulation. Why is he in the qt? Is he new or did you notice something in the display?
Thanks Sep for your reply. He's in the QT as he's new. I will go and get a small PH, always wondered about the circulation.
As of the last two mornings, he has shown no signs what so ever and he is swimming with his usual vigor, appetite good, respiration seems normal too. In fact, I think he's warming up to me as he doesn't always shy away as I approach the tank, now he sometimes comes closer . . . looking for chow, no doubt.
Did take a peek at him with a magnifying glass, and didn't notice anything . . . although the little bugger wouldn't sit very still. I will endeavor to check again when I get home this afternoon.
Hmmm, particles . . . since we've got him he's always bedded down at night near the surface in a corner, a likely place for suspended particles to gather?
Again, thanks for all the help!

sepulatian

Once you get the power head in and everything settles down (particles go into the filter) keep watching him for any spots. Let us know how he does