Can Coral carry disease?

rykna

I was going to send Lisa some frags of my corky until my tank became infected.
Can coral carry parasites and diesease? I would assume so, they would lie dormant until new hosts were available. So when purchasing coral/LR for seahorse tanks...what would you reccomend to assure you are not bringing in unwanted guests?

darthtang aw

I generally don't worry about contaminating my tanks from corals or inverts....It has always been fish...but this of course is not scientific.

reefreak29

Originally Posted by Rykna
I was going to send Lisa some frags of my corky until my tank became infected.
Can coral carry parasites and diesease? I would assume so, they would lie dormant until new hosts were available. So when purchasing coral/LR for seahorse tanks...what would you reccomend to assure you are not bringing in unwanted guests?
yes they can , i wouldnt give someone a frag from my tank if i had parasites and disease.

reefkprz

they can carry all sorts of infectious diseases and parasites. never pass on an unhealthy frag. even if it means making some one mad because you told them you would give them some, picture how much madder they would be if you sent them a frag that wiped out half their tank.

reefkprz

as for not introducing diseases via liverock to your seahorses the only sure way is to sterilize the rock and start as base, a common tecnique used for dwarfs. for corals qt the coral, then when its shown no signs of ill health frag it onto a piece of LR from the seahorse tank that went through the sterilization and re-establishment. Usually for any but dwarfs, sterilization is a bit much but it is also gauranteed to work.

rykna

Thanks. My main concern was with adding future items to the seahorse tank, and no worries,my corals won't be traveling any where for a long time.

monalisa

Curious, how is your corkey doing since the infection. Have you noticed anything different with it? It is withering in spots or showing any signs of infection? I wonder if the corkey would indeed take on the same thing that took Valiant...hmmm...
Good question.
Lisa

ldc3000

Colbert just mentioned an article that states that herpes have been found on certain coral reefs.

rykna

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
Curious, how is your corkey doing since the infection. Have you noticed anything different with it? It is withering in spots or showing any signs of infection? I wonder if the corkey would indeed take on the same thing that took Valiant...hmmm...
Good question.
Lisa
The Corkies are fine, as well as the fire goby and the 2 sargent damsels.
I think it has something to do with thin skin that seahorses have. The fire goby was not effected at all, although I did put him into the QT. Same with the sargent damsels I put in the 90 to recycle it. As for the corkies, they don't seem to have been bothered either. I don't think parasites would find them very tastey, their body structure is more like a plant...and wouldn't have the same nutrients as a fish would.