Can Dead Live Rock Become Live Again?

tervman

Just like the thread title says....is it possible for live rock, that has died, to be brought back to life (no Pet Semetary jokes :D ). What would you have to do to bring it back to life?

bang guy

I agree but only if there is thriving live rock touching it. The bacteria will grow and create the biologic filtration but it really takes a LOT of critters for the denitrification process if that's what you're looking for.

grantman

Well who am I to argue with the experts. I think dead rock is the same as base rock. I started with about 200 lbs base rock and 10 lbs live rock. I now have quarter sized corraline over most of my rocks and I am assuming that the bacteria and what not have colonized the base rock as well.

brandons

How long did it take for the base rock to begin seeing signs of life.... sorry I don't want to steal the thread, but would like to know

grantman

For me it took almost 4 months to see any coraline. But then it just took off. I have several quarter size chunks on almost every rock. I am very pleased. Just took alot of patience. It still doesn't look great, but I didn't have to pay 1000 dollars for it either.