Can Different Clowns BREED

bigyb

:help: I have a "NEMO" clown in my tank for some time now, i just got a Maroon Clown in my tank. The Nemo one is doing somthing weird to the maroon one he's turning upside down under the maroon one and shaking under it. Is this there form of mating or are they fighting. Someone please help me. Also the maroon is bigger. :joy:

clown123

fightin for dominance of the tank aka male female ur maroon will prob be the female and could poss breed.

petieaztec

I was told that maroons are butt heads, and mine are like that, sometimes they like each ohter and sometimes momma chases the other fish around including her mate. as to the mating i don't know, but i thought that they had to be the same species to bred?

speg

That crazy thing they're doing is them showin the other one whos the boss.... which is interesting that they're even doing that at all and not nipping the crap out of each other.... (though that may be next).
I have no idea.. but I would think that it would be very possible for two of the same species to successfully mate.. but I dont think they ever would.. you know what im sayin? No? Fine then... be that way.

viper_930

Two completely different species of clowns can mate a produce offpspring, and this includes maroon clowns although they aren't even the same genus.

fishieness

on another forum, in the fish breeding section, one perosn was posting iwht pics of their tomato and ....i think..... ocellarus clown breeding.

viper_930

That's correct fishieness, and I'm on the waiting list to get a pair of the offspring.

There are also other threads showing an ocellaris x percula and ocellaris x maroon breeding pair.

mr_bill

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
That's correct fishieness, and I'm on the waiting list to get a pair of the offspring.

There are also other threads showing an ocellaris x percula and ocellaris x maroon breeding pair.
Sounds interesting, is it true that offspring from these cross breedings are sterile?

phender

Originally Posted by Mr_Bill
Sounds interesting, is it true that offspring from these cross breedings are sterile?
The offspring of the ocellaris x percula mix, are not sterile. As for the maroon x ocellaris, that remains to be seen, although I suspect they will be fertile as well. White cap clowns are fertile. They are a A. chrysopterus x A. sandaracinos hybrid. There is a DNA study going on at some University to determine if maroons actually belong in a different genus than other clowns.
As it stands now Clownfish species don't fit the standard High School Biology definition of being separate species.

mr_bill

Originally Posted by phender
The offspring of the ocellaris x percula mix, are not sterile. As for the maroon x ocellaris, that remains to be seen, although I suspect they will be fertile as well. White cap clowns are fertile. They are a A. chrysopterus x A. sandaracinos hybrid. There is a DNA study going on at some University to determine if maroons actually belong in a different genus than other clowns.
As it stands now Clownfish species don't fit the standard High School Biology definition of being separate species.
Thats amazing, almost as if they are all the same species or originated from the same part of ocean thousands of years ago or something. As for the maroons.. maybe they are a different genus, I have always thought that besides the anemone hosting and color patterns they do seem to be very different than other clowns.