Can I do this?

j_schmidt1

Our tank is in a room of the house that was an add-on. The room has no heat or air conditioning. Today I noticed my water temp in the tank is 90!!

I can't afford a chiller, but I called the LFS, and they said to take the glass tops off the tank because they hold heat in. Makes sense to me, but is this really ok to do? What do you all suggest doing to lower the temp? Please help!! :help:

newbie77

you could do that as long as you have no fish that are jumpers. if so invest in some egg crate lids. if your not sure what this is go to home depot in the lighting department . they will help you.

emmitt

I would definitely take the tops off. I took mine off months ago and no problems even though i have a sopposed jumper(midas Blenny). Between the lights, skimmer and filter, he would barely have room to jump out anyways. Not only will it lower your temp, the hood traps gasses and restricts the flow of oxygen. You will have a better oxygen exchange without it.
Also, a small fan will help to lower the temp.

j_schmidt1

Thank you all very much! I really appreciate it. The only fish I have in there is a clownfish and a Mandarin goby...they aren't jumpers, are they? :notsure:
Thanks again!

puffer32

Any fish will jump if startled, no gurantee either won't, but I would chance it to keep the temp down.

murph

Does the room have a window? Window unit AC will work provided the room is small enough. The tank temp should stay a degree or two within the ambient room temp. In your case I would invest in one that also has heat. Aquarium heaters are notoriously faulty so keeping the room temp stable is the best option IMO.
They even have units now that are portable and combine a dehumidifier which would be perfect for a fish room. These can be vented even if there is no window in the room provided a whole can be cut in an outside wall.
Cheapest option would be a window unit which will get the job done (have one myself) combined with a fan blowing across the surface of tank or open sump. Should coast no more than a couple hundred. At any rate you need to figure something out soon, tank temp should stay around 80 IMO.