Can I feed them shrimp?

S

salty420

I had some shrimp with dinner tonight and was wondering if I could drop some left overs in the tank. I set some aside for my land hermit crabs and was thinking of giving some to the SW tank if it's ok... it's just raw shrimp, no seasoning or anything. THANKS

marka1620

I give my crabs raw shrimp. Nothing wrong with it. It's raw and does come from the ocean. Just don't give the alot....so it sits in your tank and rots.

newtankman

Its raw? Not cooked?
My stars get raw shrimp about every two to three days. My puffer and clowns have even had some of it.

reefkprz

I feed raw shrimp, as well as use it as an ingredient for my hiome made food. there is nothing wrong with feeding raw unflavored shrimp.

reefforbrains

Viet Tiger, its like the DIY homeade food staple.
Been feeding it for years. My anemones love it. So do most Puffers, but with puffers I leave the shell on.
I also add garlic to it sometimes. More of the joke that they are getting Scampi. But its also benifitial for their imune system.

newtankman

Garlic, I have seen this posted before. How do you feed it to them? And what fish and inverts benefit from it, and what ones do not?

renogaw

Mainly, it helps their immune system. it also attracts them to the food.
the best garlic is raw garlic. you can slice it, and rub the juices onto algae sheets, or mash it and mix it in with self-made frozen food. they also have garlic extract in a bottle.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by salty420
I had some shrimp with dinner tonight and was wondering if I could drop some left overs in the tank. I set some aside for my land hermit crabs and was thinking of giving some to the SW tank if it's ok... it's just raw shrimp, no seasoning or anything. THANKS
Raw yes, seasoned and cooked, no.

S

salty420

thanks guys, i went ahead and fed pieces of it (yes, raw, uncooked, unseasoned) and the my fish (neon blue goby, 2 blk/wht clowns, pj cardinal) LOVED it. i also hand fed my sea star some and that was so cool! no worries about left overs but even if there happened to be any my big nass snails take care of everything that drops very quickly...

1journeyman

Originally Posted by salty420
thanks guys, i went ahead and fed pieces of it (yes, raw, uncooked, unseasoned) and the my fish (neon blue goby, 2 blk/wht clowns, pj cardinal) LOVED it. i also hand fed my sea star some and that was so cool! no worries about left overs but even if there happened to be any my big nass snails take care of everything that drops very quickly...
Yup, absolutely. I make my own food and raw shrimp is a large ingredient.

renogaw

oh goodness, my wife wishes we had the seafood my fish get :)
shrimp, scallops, clam, squid (when i can find it) YUM

1journeyman

Originally Posted by renogaw
oh goodness, my wife wishes we had the seafood my fish get :)
shrimp, scallops, clam, squid (when i can find it) YUM

I know, the last time I made fish food I had a TV dinner for dinner and thought "what the heck is wrong here??".
I ground up for the fish:
Shrimp
Scallops
oysters
Mahi Mahi
Tuna
Salmon
Trout
Squid
and Sushi Nori Sheets....

renogaw

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
I know, the last time I made fish food I had a TV dinner for dinner and thought "what the heck is wrong here??".
Shrimp
Scallops
oysters
Mahi Mahi
Tuna
Salmon
Trout
Squid

its ok to put tuna and salmon in? i thought they were too oily and too much mercury in it

1journeyman

I feed small amounts of both... probably 10% total. I believe some oily food is neccessary.
Never thought about Mercury...

kirkland

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Shrimp
Scallops
oysters
Mahi Mahi
Tuna
Salmon
Trout
Squid

I made my own fishfood 2 weeks ago and had live mussels and clams. OMG it tested my patience to get those things open and scraped out. Do you scrape out the raw shellfish or do you use them whole, shell and all in your homemade food?

bigblue69

It's fine to feed raw shrimp. All my fish go crazy for it specially my cleaner shrimp they eat it right out of my hand and what ever is left over the snail clean it up.