Can I fill up my 29g with tap water?

jds61403

I've read some mixed opinions on treating tap water with PRIME and using it in my new 29g. I really can't afford to get a purifier or buy that much distilled. The LFS doesn't sell it. The tank still has to cycle and it would be great if I could just get it out of the facet. Any major risks?
Thanks for the help.

jvalason

I would get your tap tested...
I use tap water in my reef and have had no problems....knock on wood though

jvalason

copper nitrates phosphates chlorine amonia....pretty much everything. My water dosent have any traces of anything, After the cycle anyway.
All tap has chlorine in it but if you leave it out for 24hours it will evaporate. Also with tap my skimmer pulls a lot more out of the water.

redbora

where do u live jvalason, i wish i could just my tap
you want to test for phosphates if i'm not mistaken, the best way is to get a copy of your water company's water quaulty scores, then u can see what exactly is in ur tap

jvalason

i live in upstate NY.
I had my water tested by my lfs also just to be extra careful. The only thing that I can link to tap is the little blooms that you see in the pics. There is no trace of phosphates but ill blame the tap anyway. They keep the blenny happy though.

drew2005

Originally Posted by jds61403
I've read some mixed opinions on treating tap water with PRIME and using it in my new 29g. I really can't afford to get a purifier or buy that much distilled. The LFS doesn't sell it. The tank still has to cycle and it would be great if I could just get it out of the facet. Any major risks?
Thanks for the help.
Honestly, most tap water isnt good for saltwater aquariums. I would hit Walmart and get their 1 gallon jugs of drinking water(green cap and label). At 64 cents a gallon your tank will be filled up for $18.56 plus tax. IMO its worth it. I regret using tap water when i first filled my tank.

redbora

well i'll knock on wood for u 2, tap has done ur tank some good
sorry to side track ur the thread but do u add anything to ur water jvalason

jvalason

Most likely tap is going to be bad....honestly
I havent had any problems and all my corals look 100x better then when I bought them. Everything have doubled in size. Only thing that went wrong was my copperband knocked a frogspawn branch on my rock of rics...the rics one. If I see my tank take a swing I'm just going to buy a RODI unit, but until then

jvalason

I let it sit to let the chlorine evaporate with a heater and a pond pump moveing it around. I have a Koi pond with fish that are worth $1000 swimming in my tap water to. I have confidence in it.