Can I get hermits from the beach?

myre

Would it be a bad idea to get hermit crabs from the tide pools and put them in my tank?

S

sykomagnet

Unless you recognise them as one of the reef-safe breeds, no way.
They could be really agressive and get your fish.
They could also carry diseases and impurities.
If they were a reef-safe kind, then of course use a QT tank to make sure they're ok.

smoney

I have put small hermit crabs that I found in the tidepools in my tank before, they all died. They looked pretty close to the zebra hermit, so i figured they were safe, and they just died. I also got another from the beach that was huge like 2 inches, but I looked it up and it wasnt reef safe, so i gave it to my friend who has an agressive tank. I would say if you can recognize the hermit, thats fine. But otherwise I wouldn't really put your tank at risk for disease or anything like that.

mudplayerx

I put hermit crabs from the Gulf Shores, Alabama into my tank. They were really active at 1st, but never climbed on the live rock. Over time the high temperature of the tank conflicted with the cooler waters that they were used to. They now just sit in the same place all the time. Never moving, never cleaning. I gave all of them away to the lfs lol.

bluephi115

well i was in destin, fl about 3 weeks ago and I brought home about 30...they are all white hermit crabs and have been very active in my 75 gal. they have been changing shells and doing great.
anyone know much about the all white ones....they have been non aggressive and about 1/3 of them do climb on the rock.

ophiura

I would not do it unless you know EXACTLY what species you are getting. Many of those from Alabama and Texas for example...at least that I have seen...can be large and aggressive beasts. Those from California I would have to imagine would be doomed in typical warmer water tanks, although some of those tidepools can get kinda toasty. Still, they are more temperate water species in general.
In general, I would not recommend doing it at all. In large part it is also because I believe you should never return anything to the wild if you take it out.