Can I get yet another answer lol

smshep01

LOL I really do love this thing... Ok next question....What is the difference between Base Rock and Live Rock. I know what LR is and what it's function is. Is base rock just dead rock used for foundationing and serves as the bottom of the LR or is Base Rock the actual flooring material used to cover the bottom of your tank?

reefnoob

right, but another way to look at base rock is, cheap future live rock.. hehe. The critters will eventually spread to it.

smshep01

Ok That's great. Next quesiton for same subject....My brother gave us this whole tank set up. There are 2 nice sized Base Rock that came with everything, but were used in fresh water tank. Will it be ok to put these in the salt water tank and is there anything I need to do to these rock to "clean" them before going into the tank?
Also, I have a pic I want to use for an avatar but don't exactly know how to upload it or link it??? :notsure:

smshep01

Well the rock I am talking about looks to be at one time either coral or came from the water. Can't really tell you what it is but I know it isn't just plain rock you find in the ground. Would that be ok?

zanemoseley

try taking a pebbles sized piece of the rock and crumble it up with something, then put it in some vinegar and see if the mixture fizzes/foams, if it doesn't than I wouldn't use it, if it does than it will probably be ok

scotts

Just so that you know, you can turn dead rock into live rock. Let's just say due to my mistakes in the past I had to pull some rocks out. After awhile out of the tank the rock was completely white. I put it back into my tank about 6 months ago and it is now completely covered with coralline.
Scott