can i have 1

sharkbait09

hello,
i have a new i think 96 watt t5 light on my 26 gal
and iwas wondering if i could have one under my conditions im thinking blue maxima? ive never done a poll before lol
thankyou!!!!!

meowzer

Yes. I say this because I know the light you have, and have read where others have the same type of T5HO and keep clams successfully

nissan577

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3100424
Yes. I say this because I know the light you have, and have read where others have the same type of T5HO and keep clams successfully
i agree.
but how many bulbs do you have?

sharkbait09

hello,
thanx i have 4 bulbs
heres my water test results ammonia nitrite nitrate 0 ph 8.3 i dont have a cal test kit but if i was going to get one ill bring my water to the lfs and test cal and if its good ill get the clam and a cal test kit....
q. whats a good range of cal for clams?
q. if its low do u have any reccomendations on like cal supplements or even if the cal is good should i have it on hand just in case???
thankyou!!!!!!!!!!

jackri

I just drip limewater in my topoff water but acceptable calcium for a clam is 350-450 with 400-450 being more ideal.
Mine had dropped down to 280 before for awhile with no ill effects but nothing grew -- and that's while I was dosing two part per directions for awhile. Switched back to my Mrs. wage's pickling limewater drip and back to 420 with steady pH and alk.

jackri

+1 good catch.... I just saw new tank after I read the last post and I would definately wait a good 6 months.. but after that time frame I would go for a clam.

jackri

Just try to get one 3" or larger.. the smaller ones have a poor survival rate as at that point they are more filter feeders -- and yes you can feed them but at that size tank you may be polluting it more than doing good for your clam -- and wrong size micron food can clog it's gills that capture food.

nycbob

here sells for only $50-60 but smaller. most maxima clams come in 1-2 inches. i dont see 3-inch specimens for sale much. the ones that r 3 inches or more r normally derasa or squamosa clams. its ok to get a maxima smaller than 3 inches if u r confident u can meet its requirements.

meowzer

I just ordered that exact clam today....lol....Right now the shipping is on special for $9.99 with a $99.99 minimum order (something like that)
REMEMBER your water quality has to be excellent.
How is the brain doing?

sharkbait09

he is doing AMAZING i feed him and he seemed so happy my wter quality is perfect im gunna order a calcium test kit and their a place that i order dry stuff and it says 7 buissness day its here in 2 days so that is cool.
im gunna go test the water again and ill post the results brb.
thanx!!!!!!!!!!