Can I have a Clam

J

jessed244

I was wondering if my tank was ready for a clam?
I want to start with the easiest to care for, which someone told me was the deresa?
Anyways, I have had my tank for almost a year, although I just moved it from a 56 to a 90. However it is basically the same tank. Do you think it is ready for a clam? what does anyone think?
Thanks

spanko

Tell us more about the equipment including lighting, and about the move, when was it moved, did you see an new cycle etc.

J

jessed244

I moved it last week, I have not seen a cycle yet, I am hopeing not too, as the people I talked to on here assured me there shouldnt be one.
I am not planning on getting the clam right now, but after the first of the year.
I have a satellite light fixture Double - two reg bulbs, 2 actinics.
I have two koralia powerheads, and I have a skimmer coming. nothing fancy just one for up to 100 gal
Thanks

spanko

So you have the 48" 4x65 PC bulbs. Really pushing the low end if enough to keep a Deresa. Only because they are bottom - sand dwellers and the PC lights do not penetrate deep enough. The typical 90 gallon is 25" deep and the light is just not gonna get down there IMO.
Maybe some clam experts will chime in here.

1journeyman

I wouldn't try it.
Clams loooove light. A small one (under 3 inches) could possibly be spot fed enough to get it to survive, but any larger and its simply going ot require more light than you are currently running.
I firmly believe Anemones and Clam keeping starts with Halides. I ran 4 250wt HQI, 4 36 inch VHO and 2 72 inch VHO on my 180 gallon. My BTA and clams thrived.

jackri

I agree, pc lighting is not sufficient for clams even with the small ones with supplemental feeding.