Can I keep a sailfin tang and a yellow tang in the same tank?

chris009

I have a 90gallon reef setup going. I didn't know how hostile these fish would be to each other. Thanks

saltymac

A few years ago I added a sailfin tang, as the lfs told me they were the more hardy between the two. A week or so later I added a yellow tang. The first day/night I thought I made a mistake. All they did was fight. The next day, and everyday since, they are best friends. This of course is my personal experience. I have a 125g tank, and lots of rock/swim room. What is your tank size? OIC, 90g, .....its been my experience and that of many others, that you need a 6 foot tank............tangs like and thrive in large tanks. Sure some will say their tangs are happy in a 4 foot tank, but two tangs in that amount of space? I would only have one or the other, ibn that tank.... but of course, JMO. Good luck ......

A

awakened2life

Seeing that it's a reef... You should have plenty of rock work and caves which, as stated previously, will help them get along.
I have 2 Sailfins 1 of which is a Desjardini and 3 Yella Tangs.
but of coarse it's always easier when they're all added at once, then they seem to divi up the tank rather than one owning the whole tank

michaeltx

how long is you 90. I would say as long as its long enough for a tang I would only add ONE tang not 2. water quaility wil also be an issue in the tank especially with other fish in the tank .
Mike

scsinet

As the other posters stated, your tank size is a real issue here. There are many here who will tell you that you shouldn't keep any tangs in this tank. I'm not going to get into that.
What I will say is that any Zebrasoma tang at the very least will feel cramped in this tank. Putting a second in there will only increase stress, cramping, and fighting. I wouldn't do this with your tank.

nicetry

A sailfin tang is a poor choice for a tank of that size. This fish can potentially grow to the size of a small dinner plate, and would be terribly cramped in a 90. Go with the yellow, bearing in mind it's temperament when adding other fish.

sk8shorty01

I would go with one or the other. Yellows tend to be the more aggressive of the two, so as long as you added the tang as the very last fish in the tank I think you would be ok.

reefjunkiee

Originally Posted by saltymac
A few years ago I added a sailfin tang, as the lfs told me they were the more hardy between the two. A week or so later I added a yellow tang. The first day/night I thought I made a mistake. All they did was fight. The next day, and everyday since, they are best friends. This of course is my personal experience. I have a 125g tank, and lots of rock/swim room. What is your tank size? OIC, 90g, .....its been my experience and that of many others, that you need a 6 foot tank............tangs like and thrive in large tanks. Sure some will say their tangs are happy in a 4 foot tank, but two tangs in that amount of space? I would only have one or the other, ibn that tank.... but of course, JMO. Good luck ......
you think a 125 is large enough for a sailfin and a yellow? sorry but your tank is too small as well, so if your going to police the situation at least have a large enough tank to back your play. as stated a sailfin gets s lrge as a dinner plate, and a 125 doesnt cut it. but of course, JMO as well.

sk8shorty01

Originally Posted by reefjunkiee
you think a 125 is large enough for a sailfin and a yellow? sorry but your tank is too small as well, so if your going to police the situation at least have a large enough tank to back your play. as stated a sailfin gets s lrge as a dinner plate, and a 125 doesnt cut it. but of course, JMO as well.

I dont quite understand why you would attack a poster and call them out on their tank size when they did not attack the OP at all. I would say stick to answering the original question and other than that dont clutter the posts with random attacks on other posters. This person said one would probably be ok, but two would be pushing it, I dont see anything wrong with this answer, and I dont see anything wrong with how they worded it. These types of things will deter new hobbyists from asking questions when they see people getting flamed for no apparent reason. At least people are asking questions rather than just going and doing it and risking the fish's well being.

nycbob

i hv a sailfin and a yellow in a 72. its fine. but 2-3 years down the road, when they get big, i will either get a bigger tank, or give them away. its ok to hv tangs as long as u start off w small ones like 2-3 inches.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by sk8shorty01
I dont quite understand why you would attack a poster and call them out on their tank size when they did not attack the OP at all. I would say stick to answering the original question and other than that dont clutter the posts with random attacks on other posters. This person said one would probably be ok, but two would be pushing it, I dont see anything wrong with this answer, and I dont see anything wrong with how they worded it. These types of things will deter new hobbyists from asking questions when they see people getting flamed for no apparent reason. At least people are asking questions rather than just going and doing it and risking the fish's well being.
Agreed. Please tone it down Reefjunkie.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by nycbob
i hv a sailfin and a yellow in a 72. its fine. but 2-3 years down the road, when they get big, i will either get a bigger tank, or give them away. its ok to hv tangs as long as u start off w small ones like 2-3 inches.
One of the key issues to buying small tangs (and many small marine fish) is that often they do not adapt well or take to feeding properly.
That said, I purchased a small Purple Tang and can tell you it swims the length of my 180 and always has. I don't believe small fish neccessarily need smaller areas to swim. Also remember that Tangs are grazers. Putting multiple Tangs in tight quarters can lead to "over grazing" of your rock. That again makes feeding them more important and more difficult.