Can i put a mirror in my light hood for better reflection?

moy

Hey guys wouldnt you have more light and a better reflection from your lights if you some how put mirrors in the inner part of the Light hood instead of having the metal reflection thingy??
Seems logical to me. So my question is:
would there be a problem with installing mirros into the hood instead of using the usual metal reflectors??

option720

To get the most out of your bulb you would want it to at least have some angles so that it will catcht the light coming off the sides of the bulb. Parabolic reflectors are the best but i don't see why you couldn't use a flat mirror.

moy

What are PARABOLIC REFLECTORS???
So these Parabolic Reflectors reflect light better than a mirror??
Where do i get it??

jamie1010

a mirror aborbs more light than it reflects.and what it does reflect,makes hot spots that can burn plants. i used to grow plants under lights flat white paint reflects 90% of light

biggdriver

You have to be carefull using mirrors on a saltwater tank...Make sure the coating is Salt resistant..I tried this a few yrs ago on a fish only tank ..(siliconed glass to the back) It looked really cool but the salt ate away at the relective coating on the back of the glass...THsi could be toxic if it falls into the tank..ie ..put into a light hood..) Anyone know anthing about the glass coatings????

moy

So would light being reflected from the mirror harm the corals?? If so how is that possible?? Wouldnt it just be reflecting the light from the top of the bulb??