Can I put a small 1.5-2 inch derasa clam in my 3g pico?

blackjacktang

I am wondering if I can. My LFS has one that is really small. I was also going to move it to my 60g tank
My lights for my 3g is: 50/50 18 watt 14 000k
I have a xenia in there folowed by a perc. clownfish.

blackjacktang

I am wondering if I can. My LFS has one that is really small. I was also going to move it to my 60g tank
My lights for my 3g is: 50/50 18 watt 14 000k
I have a xenia in there folowed by a perc. clownfish.

ci11337

Why not just put it in the 60? and smaller = harder to keep with clams. Smaller clams need more food.

lion_crazz

I can't see any reason why you could not put it in there. Just make sure to stay on top of feedings. Pick up some Oyster eggs, cyclopeeze, and some rotifers.

jtrzerocool

seriously?
there is no way that i would ever put a derasa clam in a pico tank...not only will it outgrow you tank in about 2 hours but you will never be able to keep your calcium at the necessary levels...and i wont even go into the water parameter issues...
PC lighting in not the best lighting it you are looking to get a clam...it doesnt have the intensity that MH or t-5 has...what lighting do you have on you 60g?
If you have proper lighting on your 60g tank then why would you even try the derasa in the pico?

wangotango

Why not just wait to put it in the 60gal (which I assume has decent levels and lighting)? Little clams can be tricky.
-Justin

paintballer768

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/2655112
A single 18 watt 50/50 light is no where near close enough for the clam.
+1. I dont know if people are reading that or not, but never a clam with 18 watts of PC lighting. I would only ever consider one if I had alot of T5 wattage or some MHs.

candycane

The light is no where near enough. Derasas can survive off PC's, or most of them can anyways as long as the wattage is high enough.
Even if WPG were high enough, I wouldn't do it unless I was prepared to buy a new tank every 8 months for the next 6 years. The thing will most likely hit 18 inches within the next 2-4 years.
Rather then replace a tank and all the equiptment, if I WAS determined to keep a clam, I would just buy some halides and try'en keep the smaller types. Even then you will need to upgrade your tank size (if it's the small one) at some point just based off minimum adult sizes of Croceas and Maximas.

coral keeper

I even asked if I can keep a clam under 40 watts of High output Nova Extreme T-5 Fixture one 20 W 10,000°K and one 20 W 460 nm actinic on a 10 gallon tank and everyone said NO. So, the 18 watt PC light wont work.