Can i sefely add these to my tank?

pblrdom

Hey all i have these pieces that my mom brought home from a cruise about a month ago. They are completely dry and have been in a grocery bag. Can i sefely add these to my fowlr tank? If so how?

coryherb

adding just ole rocks is always okay providing there is nothing toxic on them. Adding live rocks could cause a cycle because stuff on them is dying at the time you put it in. But dried up non live rock is just adding a decoration :). I would give them a good rinsing and plop them in.

S

spike_501

i put some little shells in my tank for the hermit crabs and that was fine, i would strongly suggest boiling them as i did my sheels, you dont want any nasties going into your tank

mkcsil18

How about a sadn dollar??? can those be added to a tank? I was on vacation lastweek and was digging upa few, and was think maybe add them to the tank, not live but as a decoration? it was a thought.

fastlane13

bake them in an oven at 350 for about 10-15 minutes...they might turn whiter but dont add them in without doing that:yes:

fastlane13

you HAVE to boil or bake them. It kills all the crap that you dont want in your tank. If you just wash them, then your system could crash. BOIL or BAKE them. I made a huge mistake with my old 46 fowlr by just washing them, ,and i would hate to see that with you.

pblrdom

ok cool thanks all, i went out and got a huge pot to boil themn in today, so on sunday (next day off) i will finish or do as much as i can on the job.
i will post pics asap,
ty for all the help!