Can I Still Save This Coral?

funkyman

I aquired a superman monti frag about 6 weeks ago. It's approximately 2"x2", and was doing very well. The white spot it had on it from where it had been fragged had even grown polyps over it.
Yesterday I noticed some of the encrusting base had turned white. I thought maybe it was getting to much light since I had been gradulally increasing my MH photo period, so I moved it to a shaded area. Today when I got home from work and was checking the tank, I saw that the entire frag has turned white. :scared:
What happened? I have other SPS's that are doing just fine. I have a 2'deep tank, and had it half way up. Yesterday I moved it to the bottom in the shadow of some live rock.

dburr

Never too much light. I would put it back where it was and cross your fingers, ASAP.

wilsonreef

Do you have it close to a Galaxea do you? I lost a Xenia that way..they can have sweeper tentacles that are 6 to 8" And they usually sting what ever is close. Just a thought, My Xenia turned white at the base then by the time I was aware of the problem it was too late.

viper_930

If you no longer see the polyps, then it's all gone.
It's rapid tissue necrosis (RTN). The coral tissue just falls off and the necrosis continues until the entire coral is dead. It can be stopped by fragging off the dead parts and a bit of the live tissue for good measure, or super glueing the affected areas.

viper_930

RTN can start for any kind of stress, not really anything in particular.
There should be no contact between SPS corals to begin with; they will sting each other.

irondog

Having same problem with my Xenia,bought it yesterday was fine when put it in tank,like it kinda like separated from the rock just barely hagging on,at the root was white,so before it took it completely off the rock an rubber banded him to another peice of rock,hope this works,he looks bad now,maybe its too late,how will i know if he is dead