Can I use an underground filter with live sand?

luv4jc123

I'm about to purchase another filter for my tank, but need to know if I can use the filter that goes under the substrate. Thanks!

dragonzim

Undergravel filters are not recommended for saltwater tanks as they can trap detritus and become nitrate factories. You would be better off with live sand, lots of live rock, good circulation and a sump.

michaeltx

not recomended even on FW tanks anymore really they are about useless.
go with 1-1/2 pounds of rock per gallon of water and 1-1/2 pounds of sand per gallon with a lot of flow within the tank and build a natural filter with a good clean up crew thats all you need.
Mike

scopus tang

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2550550
not recomended even on FW tanks anymore really they are about useless.
go with 1-1/2 pounds of rock per gallon of water and 1-1/2 pounds of sand per gallon with a lot of flow within the tank and build a natural filter with a good clean up crew thats all you need.
Mike
Really? what are they replacing them with? I've been running nothing but undergravel filters on my cichlid tanks for years ~ hope they're not promoting canister filters instead. I really hate cleaning those
ing things out.

spanko

It is amazing to me that back in the 70's the undergravel filter was the accepted method for saltwater. Ah time marches on as does technology. Agree with the above, live rock and plenty of it should suffice for your biological filtering needs. For mechanical a HOB with filter pad and charcoal or a HOB skimmer or both will help.

michaeltx

Originally Posted by Scopus Tang
http:///forum/post/2550807
Really? what are they replacing them with? I've been running nothing but undergravel filters on my cichlid tanks for years ~ hope they're not promoting canister filters instead. I really hate cleaning those
ing things out.
there are many new technologies out there from fuidized bed filters to oversized canisters * not like magnums* to increased biowheels and a few others. I quit running UG filters about 10 years ago and have always had a clean tank. there are better products available now. earlier years they were top of the line and the best you could get now they arent so well.
Mike

scopus tang

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2550864
there are many new technologies out there from fuidized bed filters to oversized canisters * not like magnums* to increased biowheels and a few others. I quit running UG filters about 10 years ago and have always had a clean tank. there are better products available now. earlier years they were top of the line and the best you could get now they arent so well.
Mike
Not to highjack the thread, but this is pretty interesting. Feel free to PM me if you don't wont to keep this offtopic discussion going in this thread. Guess I need to keep up on my reading for FW also (oh crud ~ I don't have the time for another web forum ~ my wife's ready to kill me as it is) I've ran some of the RENA's in the last few years, but they haven't really impressed me. Tried a biowheel as well, but just can't get into the HOB filters (are there other types?) What is a fuidized bed filter?

snakeblitz33

hah, fluidized bed filters are awesome. I wouldn't build a clients tank without putting one on it.
Fluidized bed filters use sand. Highly oxygenated water is pushed down a tube and up through a sand bed, keeping it fluidized. Since sand has so much surface volume, trillions of aerobic bacteria build up on the sand and break down nitrates, phosphates, and other organic compounds that are in the water.
Generally 1 lb of sand can handle 100 gallons of an average stocked aquarium. Although, I run most tanks with 9lbs of sand, if they are greater then 200 gallons.
Larger fluidized bed filters for 1000g plus are freakin sweet. They are round and have the same basic principles as the smaller ones that you can buy online. Generally you can run around 50lbs of sand in them, (which is for about 50,000 gallon aquarium)
I will be running a large FSBF on both my freshwater and saltwater setups for my storefront.

X

xcrvin70098

I was recommended to ug filters by someone who had aquariums, he has not been into it for over 13 years, so i have them as an additional. I don't mind it in the fw but the sw is annoying with the tubes, I still run it because there is more then 200 lbs of LR in it, it is a 110 and is about a year old. so no way really to remove it. live & learn I guess. my last 2 I set up I skipped them & the person who told me about the ugf has since gotten back into it and ot using them anymore.
better to keep running then sitting idle?

mkzimms

what kind of sand do you run in a FBF, just normal agranite or do you need something a little more fine?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by luv4jc123
http:///forum/post/2550424
I'm about to purchase another filter for my tank, but need to know if I can use the filter that goes under the substrate. Thanks!

Back to the original question, do not buy an under gravel filter. They are far outdated. There are much more efficient ways to filter your tank. What kind of filter do you have now?

rkennedy

AHH MAN I JUST STARTED TO ADD THE SALT TO MY NEW TANK AND IVE USED U/G FILTERS BEFORE TOO. IVE GOT THEM ON MY NEW TANK RIGHT NOW WHAT I THOUGHT I WOULD DO IS ADD MY POWERHEADS TO YHEM AND REVERSE THE FLOW SO AS THE WATER ENTERS THE HEAD THEN TAKES THE WATER DOWN THE COLUMN AND BRINGS IT UP THRU THE SUBSTRATE. I ALSO HAVE THE CRUSHED CORAL FOR SUBSTRATE BUT HAVENT ADDED IT YET MY PLAN IS TO HAVE A CLEANUP CREW IN MY TANK AND I THOUGHT WITH THE REVERSE FLOW WOULD KEEP EVERYTHING MIXED UP FOR MY FILTERS AND CLEANUP CREW THE TUBING DOES NOT BOTHER ME MAN WHAT TO DO!!!!!!!!

snakeblitz33

First of all, no caps please. It's just annoying.
Second, do not use an undergravel filter, even with reverse flow. Thirdly, do not use crushed coral. Use live sand at least 2" thick

scopus tang

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/2551674
First of all, no caps please. It's just annoying.
Second, do not use an undergravel filter, even with reverse flow. Thirdly, do not use crushed coral. Use live sand at least 2" thick
+1 on the undergravel filter and the the crushed coral. If you are going with LS, I would either go less than 2 inches or more than 4 (2 to 4 is a medium depth that often causes more problems than it solves).

snakeblitz33

I have found that 1.5 to 2" has always been the best depth for any of my tanks. Of course, I know how to maintain everything....
Good luck!

scopus tang

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///forum/post/2552509
I have found that 1.5 to 2" has always been the best depth for any of my tanks. Of course, I know how to maintain everything....
Good luck!
I think Snakeblitz hit the nail right on the head here. Everyone will find the ideal system that will work for them (for me, its a DSB 6" deep), and learn how to maintain it! I've seen many different methods of setting up and maintaining these systems, all of which are successful (Fenner himself, in his book admits that undergravel filters with cc substrate can be successful for FOWLR systems if properly maintained). Its really a matter of finding what works for you ~ then as you get more experienced and feel more secure in the hobby, you will begin to branch out and try new things (I've always run DSB systems only for 6 years, My most recent tank is an adventure in sump/refigiums ~ and let me just say that I've learned a ton on the subject by readying through these forums. Cudoos to everyone who takes the time to participate, ask questions, and help other fellow hobbiests!
Luvforjc123, Good luck with your new system. Also, you may want to check out the following ongoing thread.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/314837/lr-ls-question