Can new powerheads cause temp to rise?

lkb3493

I just installed 2 new Maxi Jet 1200 powerheads yesterday in my 55 gallon and the temp has gone from 78 to 82. I have not noticed the heater come on. Not to sound stupid but can those powerheads cause my temp to rise? I am trying to find out if it is that or if my heater is not working correctly. How can I lower the temp safely without stressing out my fish more?
Thanks in advance!

cjworkman

I would guess that you might have had some dead spots before installing the powerheads. So the thermometer may have been sitting in a colder dead spot of the tank.
You are probably getting a more accurate reading of the tank temp now.

lkb3493

Do I just have the fan blow on the glass or open the hood and have it blow that way?
:notsure: :thinking:

agent707

Well, if you're tank is "enclosed" that may be an issue in itself. I'd at least leave the hood open.

dogstar

Powerheads do/can add heat to the water. A fan blowing right across the surface of the water will help cool it some. Maybe enough.

saltn00b

if anything the powerheads would likely cool your tank down by causing a lot more churning at the surface, and hence stimulating quicker evaporation. i agree with cj about the dead spots

lkb3493

So if I am understanding correctly you guys think that I had some dead spots that were much warmer than others and now that the water is circulating more it is raising the temp as the dead spots are getting more flow? If I cool it down that should be that then? It is just the dead spots getting circulated initially?

birdy

Power heads most definetly add heat to an aquarium, they are a motorized pump after all.
82 is actually the temp I shoot for in my aquariums, very close to natural reef temps.
But if you want to cool your aquarium, remove the glass tops, and blow a fan across the top of the water.
Aiming a powerhead at the top of the aquarium isn't going to do anything for the temp.

saltn00b

well i agree with you that they do generate some heat, and that removing tops and having an air current over the surface helps, a rapidly breaking surface will help in conjunction with the air flow. sorry fo rnot being clearer. i have seen it. i assumed there was no top on lkb's tank.

lkb3493

Ok- I am a newbie with a FOWLR. I thought 82 was too high and I was freaking a little. What is a good temp for a FOWLR and cleanup crew? I have to have a cover because there is a 3 year old in the house (enough said LOL). I opened the hood covers and pointed a power head towards the surface. Still trying to get them postiioned right...