can shrimp molt too much?

alix2.0

i have 3 peppermints in my tank, and i find one or two molts a week... is this bad? they are huge and eat like pigs.
just now found a new one, actually.

mgatdog

I was told it's not good . I still wonder about that myself.I know too much iodine in the water causes them to molt.

alix2.0

dang. hmm i wonder what i should be doing about that. i dont dose iodine, and i already do water changes like mad.

michaeltx

yes when a shrimp molts its hard on them and if they molt to often they can start to have difficulties with the molt a bad molt can kill an invert.
Mike

wyvern

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2658477
yes when a shrimp molts its hard on them and if they molt to often they can start to have difficulties with the molt a bad molt can kill an invert.
Mike
ok, how do you stop them from molting?

michaeltx

honestly I dont know I know adding iodine will cause them to molt more often than normal though but in the right amounts is supposed to help with the molting process but its a fine line between the 2.
mike

scrombus2

Yeah, I guess you could say that molting is similar. Molting is the only way inverts like shrimp, crabs and lobsters can grow. Immediately after molting, they take water into their tissues and expand slightly, before the chitin of their new exoskeleton hardens. My BCS lost an arm one night to some struggle with a tankmate. A week or so later, I noticed a new arm growing back. She molted, and her arm was back, good as new. Ain't nature amazing?

hoseman77

I had no Idea molting was that way, I was wondering why I found a coral banded shrimp claw in my tank, I thought I had a second one I didnt know about that got eaten or something.

zeke92

molting is usually caused by growing and being healthy. there is a chance it could be from stress or something. i didn't read all the replies but i figured i would get in my 2 cents of a noob answer.