Can slac rock or lime stone rock be used in a reef system

I was wondering if slac rock or limestone rock can be used in a reef tank since it is mainly fossilized coral rock but known as Slag or limestone rock.

flower

Originally Posted by crazyreefnut
http:///forum/post/3137471
I was wondering if slac rock or limestone rock can be used in a reef tank since it is mainly fossilized coral rock but known as Slac or limestone rock.

Do you mean SLATE rock? No, slate has metals in it..I am not sure about limestone, but I doubt it.

jackri

It's not what your looking for. You're looking for pourous rock to aid in filtrations -- neither of these do and I'm unsure of leeching of chemicals.

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/3137489
It's not what your looking for. You're looking for pourous rock to aid in filtrations -- neither of these do and I'm unsure of leeching of chemicals.
I have well over 250 pounds of live rock and was recently asked if this type of rock can be used. It is coral rock and also called slag and limestone....

reefkprz

you can use limestone but its not very porous and extremly heavy so there isnt much benifit in it other than the fact that its chemically safe. lots of people with extremly large marine tanks use lime stone as a base and fill with LR. I wouldnt reccomend using all limestone as I mentioned its not a good filter rock.

I figured the same, but did not want to give the wrong advice. If anyone else can confirm this with documented proof I would greatly appreciate it. A picture would be worth a thousand words. Thanks

king_neptune

i dont know about slag. But I wouldn't use lime stone unless you were intending to compensate for something chemically ph wise. is limestone bad? not that Im aware of(people use it in reef tanks as base rock), but your motivation to use it should be "I need to compensate chemically"

reefkprz

just google limestone base rock and you'll find tons of vendors.
the 20,000 gallon aquarium at "atlantis marine world" has over 30,000 LBS of quarried limnestone rock in it.
google this
Joe shares his beautiful 20,000 gallon aquarium with our readers. By Joe Yaiullo
select the third option down and read the article.
that should be sufficient evidence of its viablitiy even to the most skepticle reader.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/3137915
i dont know about slag. But I wouldn't use lime stone unless you were intending to compensate for something chemically ph wise.
that makes no sense, or maybe I'm not understanding what your trying to say,can you clarify that.

king_neptune

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/3137917
that makes no sense, or maybe I'm not understanding what your trying to say,can you clarify that.
http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog...an_110997.html
lets see how long that stays up. ill dig up some more if you need. like I said, Its not bad. But the intent should be to be using itas a natural buffer.
the most important thing to pull from that link is limestone is a ph of 7.6
if your wanting to bring your PH down I would go for limestone. But then again...having limestone in your tank could potentially lead to trouble keeping it at 8.2

king_neptune

Like I said, limestone isnt a bad thing. But If I didnt have to use it, I dont see a point. if it aint broke, dont fix it.
My own personal feelings on the rock is i would use it if I had trouble with my PH levels. But since my tank sits at 8.2 without any effort, Im comfortable saying I dont think Ill ever use limestone.
oh and be sure what kind of limestone your getting. Read up on the specific region your obtaining it from. I think it would warrant researching what rocks contain more crystals/metals ect vs other limestone rocks. again JMO

reefkprz

the most often reason I have found limestone to be used is too take up space, in an inexpensive manner, if you have a 200-1,000gallon tank and a low budget you can build your base with lime stone even with reduced capacity for biofiltration and use to more expensive LR to "top it off" as it were.
I would not rely on lime stone base to buffer my tank. it has the same chemical composition as live rock, therefore has no greater buffing capacity than same.

king_neptune

yup. you and me both. its safe to use, but I personally wouldnt use it unless I was trying to compensate.
I agree with you, its not a bad thing to have in a tank.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/3137932
yup. you and me both. its safe to use, but I personally wouldnt use it unless I was trying to compensate.
I agree with you, its not a bad thing to have in a tank.
yeah I personally would spend the money on regular dry base rock (which is generally cheaper than live) as the more porous structure allows creater biofiltration. but if I had an insane amount of tank to fill I would consider it for base.

king_neptune

for fantastic base rock that is cheap google
marco rocks
I got 50lbs of this stuff for $100+35 shipping.
AMAZING AMAZING rock!! I absolutely highly recommend it.
I got one piece a little larger than a basketball. 4-5 the size of coconuts. And about a dozen baseball sized pieces.
Do note that I got a sharp spike in my salinity when I ordered it. This was because when they dry it you still have salt coating the rocks lightly. But the next day I added a bit of RO water and it went down immediately and stayed.
The large piece is loaded with lots of swimming caves, and rests nicely on the bottom and allows for my engineer goby to dig tunnels all around its base safely.

bmkj02

I agree with King_Neptune. You will need to compensate if using those rocks. I know Florida rocks uses Limerocks. I have also heard from online and multi LFS that the limerock leach phosphate. I also have a GFO to compensate for it. I regret getting some but I have too many to start all over.

justintime

crazyreefnut;3137471 said:
I was wondering if slac rock or limestone rock can be used in a reef tank since it is mainly fossilized coral rock but known as Slag or limestone rock.[/QUOTE
you have base rock.you have lace rock. limestone if it is seeded for months and has time to cure and i don't mean like live rock . and if you want the info and can get to you . do you want base rock .
pm me